Story 2: Monastario Taxes California (Disney Zorro Fanfic)

Song: "Zorro Theme"

Genre (s): Short Story/Fanfiction

Written When? 9th Grade

        Diego de la Vega and his mute sidekick, Bernardo, were on their way into town to visit the Farmer's Market.

Diego, who steered the horse-drawn carriage, glanced at his partner and said, "I'll tell you, Bernardo, when was the last time Zorro was needed in the cuartel?"

Bernardo tapped his head and pointed at Diego's chest. With his pointer finger, he drew a Z in midair and held it up to Diego's face.

"Bravo, Bernardo!" was Diego's response. "One full week! Do you think Monastario is finally giving up?"

Bernardo shrugged.

"I sure hope so," Diego added. "There was something about that comandante I didn't like. Can you guess what it was?"

Bernardo nodded and held out his arm. He pretended to be handling a whip, and he snapped his arm forward over and over again.

"Yes," Diego said when he saw what Bernardo was acting out, "it was the way he mistreated those poor Indians and made them move those rocks at the mission. What a heartless man. Well, at least we can finally travel to the Farmer's Market without worrying about the safety of the people. This is what every day should be like." He peered into the gorgeous, blue sky. "Blue skies, birds flying, and a chicken comandante." He laughed and patted Bernardo's shoulder. Picking up the reins, he shouted, "Hyah!" and flicked them.

They arrived at the cuartel ten minutes later.

Diego sniffed the air. "Ah, that is the scent of succession, Bernardo. I have never felt this good in my entire life." He waved to the Indians who roamed the cuartel.

Bernardo's eyes rolled over to a large man, Sergeant Garcia, hanging up posters and whistling. He nudged Diego.

"What is it, Bernardo?" he asked, gazing at him.

Bernardo frantically pointed at Garcia.

Spotting him, Diego said, "Huh, that's interesting. Why would Sergeant Garcia be up at this hour?" He handed the reins to Bernardo. "I wonder what those posters say. Bernardo, watch the carriage." He adjusted his jacket and held his palm out to his partner. "Hand me my book."

Nodding, Bernardo reached into the back of the carriage and dug out a thick, 400-page book. He set it in Diego's palm.

"Thank you, my friend," Diego said. He began to climb out of the carriage. "You wait here with the horses, and I'll be back in a jiffy."

Smiling, Bernardo saluted.

Diego's feet hit the stoned ground. He put his hat back behind his neck and exhaled. Then he marched towards Garcia and stopped behind him.

Garcia had not noticed him. He was too busy whistling and gluing a poster to the wall.

Diego waited for a bit, and then he said, "Buenos días, Sergeant."

Garcia screamed and dropped his load of posters. Whirling around, his eyes widened. "Don Diego!" He placed his hand to his heart. "Why would you do that?" He shivered, as he tried to recover from his scare.