Story 4: The Ghost of Ontario (Novel: Draft 2)

Song: "You're the One" - Heavynn Gates

Genre (s): Teen Fiction/Mystery

Written When? 9th Grade

Chapter 9

Touring the Campground

        Just like I wanted, I sat on the front steps of the station's staircase and thought about the disappearance of Ranger Kate's child. It was so bizarre. Come on, you have to agree with me. Thinking would've been a lot better if there weren't any bugs around.

The entire time I sat on the steps, mosquitoes whined by my ears and caused me to lose concentration. Seriously, what was with those bugs? Sure, I was a bug magnet, but was I seriously that magnetic? Dad had blackmailed my soul. I knew he did. I couldn't think.

While I sat and dealt with the bugs, I thought about the mystery. I thought about Ranger Kate, her son, and connected the pieces. "Hm," I elucidated to myself, "the disappearance of her son may be the very reason why she's so depressed. He's been missing for years?" I shivered. "Yikes. Years she said, but how many years?" How could a child go missing for years? The case was serious, but it wasn't anything Detective Kylie Juniper couldn't solve.

I heard the ranger station's door open behind me. Before I knew it, Uncle Bart sat next to me.

"Uncle Bart," I softly spoke.

Uncle Bart and I stared at the continuous trees. For a minute or two, we didn't speak.

Then, Uncle Bart peered into my face and smirked. "I know that look anywhere. You're thinking, right, Kylie?" He put his fingers in between each other and rested his hands on his lap.

"Of course, I'm thinking, Uncle Bart," I said. I dropped my hand from my chin and peered into his own face. "I can't stop thinking about that boy who went missing. Why would a boy go missing?"

Uncle Bart shrugged and answered, "Maybe he wanted to start a lifestyle of his own, so he became a hermit."

Normally, I would laugh at his jokes, but I didn't that time. The case shouldn't be taken lightly. I slightly glared at Uncle Bart and said, "This is serious! A boy doesn't just go missing, Uncle Bart! I, Detective Kylie Juniper, am going to solve this case! This will be the only thing that will keep me occupied on this worthless canoe trip."

A cloud of mosquitoes swarmed around me.

I quickly jumped to my feet and shooed them away. "These stupid bugs are really starting to get on my nerves!" I shrieked, and I forcibly rubbed myself down. I slapped a mosquito off my arm and started to pace back and forth. Perhaps if I paced, it would keep the bugs off me?

Uncle Bart watched me. Under his breath, I heard him mumble, "Welcome to Canada."

After a few more minutes, the ranger station's door opened again. Dad, along with the rest of Camp Juniper, exited it.

I begged for all the campsites to be full so we could return to North Tonawanda, but of course, we just had to get the last two open ones. My demons were really putting on a show for me.

In one hand, Dad held a bunch of maps, and in the other, he held a notebook. He announced, "We've got our campsites, Camp Juniper! Ranger Amelia said they're pretty full right now, but lucky for us, Sites 1 and 2 are open."