Story 14: Rey's Inner Power (Star Wars: The Force Awakens Fanfic)

Song: "Rey's Theme" - John Williams

Genre (s) Fanfiction/Science Fiction

Written When? 12th Grade

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Part 1

        From an early age to her age now, nineteen, Rey always felt something was different about her. She had no idea but something amazing, yet dangerous, swirled deep inside her. After living many lonely, unsettling years on Jakku while waiting for her family, when the First Order started their search for the map that led to Luke Skywalker, Rey felt the power inside her grow. Her instincts told her a village on Jakku was in danger, by someone strong with the Force. For the sake of her people, she, a scavenger, attempted to find a way to stop the attack herself.

***

Like most days on Jakku, the morning was hot, but Rey had grown used to it. She was taking a break from scavenging, in a wrecked Star Destroyer, when the Force told her an ambush was en route to the Desert Resort.

The young woman sat on an old, rotating seat and snacked on the little food she had. It was quiet. Nobody else was in the Star Destroyer. While Rey snacked, she went through the valuables she found that morning. Would any of them be worth more than one-quarter portion?

A few minutes later, she heard a loud bang which echoed throughout the whole Destroyer.

Jumping, she immediately pulled her goggles off her eyes and hopped down from the seat. Rey grabbed her quarterstaff, which had been propped up against it, and jogged forward. "Who's there?"

A draft wafted through the ship. In it, came a mysterious voice. "You're the light, Rey, the darknessthe Force."

Rey didn't understand. What was that voice? She held her staff out, for protection, and questioned, "Who are you? I have a weapon. If you're a voice in my head, I guess I can't hit you, but if you're a person, I'd watch out." Cautiously, she wandered through the Star Destroyer's corridors and searched for whoever spoke to her.

"Rey," he/she said again.

Rey gasped and hurried forward.

The voice took her outside to Jakku's dry landscape and explained, "The Desert Resort, young'un. It needs your help."

"The Desert Resort?" Rey asked. "What's wrong?" A sickening feeling invaded her insides. Innocent lives were in danger. "Oh no."

The scavenger wasted no time. She started down a dune, without thinking about getting her sand sled. That caused her to trip over her foot and fall. Rey rolled down the dune and landed in a heap next to her speeder. Her staff slipped from her hand and landed a few feet away.

She remembered the entire time she rolled, she heard the same voice in her head calling, "Rey."

The young woman inhaled breaths of air, as she rested on the sand. Once recovered from her fall, she leaped to her feet and brushed herself down, retrieving her staff. Rey slipped the strap of it over her shoulder and hurried to her speeder. Climbing aboard, she pulled her goggles down and started it. She sped forward and headed in the direction of the Desert Resort.