Legacy (A History of My Writing)

Song: "Kids" - Ben Rector

        From the beginning of time, I never knew I was meant to be a writer. I never knew I would spend my coming-of-age years writing stories one after another. I never knew that twelve years after I turned ten years old, I would be a Featured author on Wattpad and moving towards publishing my first book. Thinking back to those early years, I now know the history behind my journey and how I became Viktoria Fyodorova.

My early days were slow because I did not have many friends. However, I always had an enormous imagination. It showed whenever I would have friends over, and we would play acting games together. Since I was a shy child, I spent a lot of time creating stories in my head: starting with my stuffed animals and then moving into acting. As a little girl, I was considered "odd", because I always avoided crowds and played acting games off to the side. Nevertheless, I did not know these were early signs of who I would grow up to be.

In 3rd grade, I wrote my first short story, Lilly and the Three Puppies. It was based on one of my favorite Disney Princess games for the GameBoy Advanced, Royal Adventure. It was an assignment for my class. Our teacher wanted us to exercise and improve our writing abilities, so she asked us to write a small story.

Even after I wrote Lilly and the Three Puppies, I still had yet to feel the spark with writing. That changed a little later in the year when I started to write Pokémon comics. Pokémon was my past, present, and future during my childhood. A lot of games I played with my stuffed animals were Pokémon games. I never knew just how far comic writing could go until I reached 4th grade.

I remember it perfectly. Mom picked me up from school one day, and she took me to a hairstylist so she could get her hair done. I sat in the lobby, with my legs waving back and forth under me, extremely bored. Finally fed up, I went to Mom and started to annoy her—by tapping her shoulder repeatedly.

"I'm bored," I complained in that soft, high-pitched, ten-year-old voice.

Mom pushed my hand away and said, "Why don't you write something in your school journal?"

I considered her words. I had nothing else to do, so why not? I sauntered out to the parking lot and came within reach of the gray minivan. With the rays of the sun warming my back, I reached inside and pulled out my school notebook. I took it into the barber shop and returned to the chair in the lobby. With a pencil and notebook in hand, I started to write my first official story—a Pokémon fanfic called Mystery of Time and Space.

I don't know what happened that day. Something triggered my creative writing genes. Was it the plot I came up with? The characters? I just don't know.

I continued Mystery of Time and Space through the rest of 4th grade and into early 5th grade. My 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Gower, was so impressed to see me writing every single day after the Barber Shop Incident. By the time I finished the story, it was ninety-six pages long. From that day forth, my writing career kicked off.

Dad got me my very first notebook in 5th grade. With it, I started my first series, Maglin Arts High, which ended up being ninety stories. 5th grade was when I started to read my stories to my dad. All my iconic characters were born during that time: including John the Red-Crowned Crane, Prince Benjamin, and Anthony Mateo Brook (The Green Guardian). His original name was Jack.

Aside from Maglin Arts High, I also wrote a lot of Star Wars and Pokémon fanfiction—including horrible crossovers—in that first notebook. It wasn't until 6th grade that I moved away from fanfiction and focused thoroughly on the Maglin Arts High series. They continued into 7th grade.