Story 31: The Light Dragon (Dragons: Race to the Edge Fanfic)

Song: "Give Me a Reason" - Three Days Grace

Genre (s): Fanfiction/Fantasy

Written When? Junior Year of College

Chapter 7

A Struggle to Bear Arms

        When dusk on the island of Berk came, the Sun cloaked the whole village in a mesmerizing, orange light.

Dusk was also a sign it was time for dinner. Just the thought of it excited the villagers. They made their way towards the dining hall, but someone was missing in the crowd–Hiccup Horrendous Haddock.

Instead of enjoying a nice, hot meal, he locked himself up in his hut with Toothless. Besides, he wasn't that hungry, anyway.

Hiccup was in his room, sitting at his desk. Next to him was the Dragon Eye, the artifact that he hoped would give him answers about the Light Dragon. When he made it to his hut, he quickly fixed the leg he swiped from Toothless, so now, he finally had something on his stump to help him walk.

The young man wasn't making much progress with his research. He was under a lot of stress. It was at the point he felt like crying. He rested his aching head on his arms and stared into outer space.

Toothless stood next to him. He tried to play with his friend, by nudging his shoulder, but Hiccup didn't look at him.

He thought about the argument he had with his father in Gothi's hut, what he and Astrid said that morning at breakfast, and what they told him in the secret chamber:

"I did want you to help me with a few things around the island today, Hiccup, to start your chief training."

"Oh, my gods, Hiccup! You're going to become chief soon!"

"Stock is right! You cannot even survive one simple task without relying on Toothless or me!"

And...

"A chief does not lie to his subjects."

Hiccup struggled to bear arms. He didn't know what to do. Anything he tried, Astrid and his father spat it right back in his face. Sure, he had Toothless, but that wasn't enough. Astrid was right. He relied too much on her and his dragon, and he had to change that.

Once again, Toothless nudged his friend, but Hiccup told him, "Not now, Toothless. Can't you see I'm depressed?"

Toothless gave him a funny look and grumbled. His eyes landed on the Dragon Eye. Wanting to play, he scooped it up in his powerful jaw. The dragon put the artifact on the ground and batted it like a cat chasing after a laser light.

However, the strangest thing happened. Something in Toothless's saddle bag shimmered, and a single light yellow dot appeared in front of him.

He went crazy. As the dot moved around the room, Toothless pounced and unsheathed his claws. He ran in circles and ended up knocking over a few barrels, chairs, and another desk.

"Toothless!" Hiccup yelled from where he sat. He leaped to his feet.

There was Toothless. Half his body was under his friend's bed. It jiggled with his movement.

"What are you doing?" Hiccup asked. He scooped up the Dragon Eye from the floor and came within reach of his dragon.

Unfortunately, his voice startled the Night Fury so much that he jumped, and the bed flipped over. It slid to the other end of the room and bounced against the wall.