Start as you mean to go on

Quinn sighed. It had been a very long day.

Not a bad one, just a long one. She loved Christmas, but couldn't help being relieved that it was finally over for another year. The whole family sat around the living room watching Elf in a peaceful silence, but Quinn was lost in her own world. She counted up the amount of people she had bought presents for this year, and would have to buy next year. Twelve months until next Christmas. If I start buying my presents now...and buy one a month...I won't have enough time to buy everyone's presents. That's depressing.

She pulled out her phone, grinning when she saw Santana's Merry Christmas text from the morning, "What's wrong with you? Is that your secret boyfriend or something?" Hayley smirked, exchanging a smug glance with Claire as Quinn blushed. Sugar gave a snort of derision and Quinn glared at her as Sam gave his girlfriend a small nudge and warning glance. Quinn rolled her eyes; Sugar was clearly bitter about the fact that Sam had produced new running shoes for Christmas, and now a little blue box.

"Wouldn't you like to know" Quinn shot back and the girls scowled back at her. She was sat on the floor at her great-aunt's feet, who reached out subtly to pat her shoulder, and Quinn smiled up at her gratefully. She turned her attention back to her phone, scrolling back up their conversations to re-read Santana's messages. She came across the two pictures from before Christmas, and grinned when she saw the two smiling faces looking back at her. Santana had been right, Luke was definitely a cutie; he looked just like the brunette, only younger and male, obviously. Same shape eyes, same toothy grin. She hid her giggles through tight lips, ignoring suspicious looks from the teenage girls and Sugar, until the girl on the couch spoke up

"God Quinn, are you re-reading conversations? That's so gay" she said, rolling her eyes. Quinn swallowed, making a show of laughing off the comment, but she noticed Sam's jaw tense. His arm wrapped around Sugar tightened lovingly, and only Quinn saw him dig a finger into the girl's ribs with a subtle glare. The girl's eyes darted across to Quinn's and narrowed, before she turned her face up to Sam's, cupping his face in her hands and pulling him in for a long kiss, but he pulled away after a few moments, "I love you so much, baby" she said intensely, pressing her forehead against his, but flashing her eyes at Quinn. What is wrong with you? Are you expecting me to cry or something, like 'Oh, I'm so jealous that you get to kiss my brother and I don't?' Okay eew, I made myself feel ill with that one. Serious bunny boiler potential there, Sammy boy. Enjoy that.

She rolled her eyes with a grimace as Sam shifted uncomfortably, eyes darting to his family members as they all turned their attention back to the film. Her father's gaze rested on Quinn a moment longer before he turned back to the film with a frown. She gulped.

One more Day.

-ooOoo-

"I'll see you soon, okay?" she knelt at the bottom of the stairs, looking up at the pouting boy on the fifth step. He didn't reply "Come on, Lukey. You know I'll come and visit next time you have school holidays, yeah? Don't be sad, please"

She reached up and placed a hand on his knee, but the boy immediately stood up and threw himself into her arms. She lifted him into the air and pulled him into a tight hug, breathing him in with her eyes closed as she bit her lip with a frown.

"I don't want you to go. I'll miss you" he said quietly in her ear and she smiled sadly

"And you know I'll miss you too. But I promise it won't be for long, okay? And I'll call you as soon as I get home." He frowned "Just you though, I don't wanna talk to all the boring grown-ups" she winked and he smiled "Besides, you have to get back to school soon, and so do I, and if we never go home then you'll miss all your friends"

"And you'll miss yours" he nodded intelligently and she grinned fondly

"Yes, I will. And aren't you excited to see your friends and tell them all about your new racing car and bike and all the other cool stuff you got for Christmas?" he looked thoughtful before nodding shyly, as a huge grin spread across his face "Exactly. So we have to go home. But I will call you as soon as I'm home, and if you ask Mami and Papi nicely, they'll let you call me whenever you miss me, okay?"