Let Me Go

They were still at the bar an hour later and Santana had just been called up to the stage. She took a deep breath as she stood up, ignoring their cheers and encouragement as she made her way to the podium. Quinn grinned, but the brunette didn't meet her eyes, and her smile faded slightly as she watched her walk away; enjoy the curves of the brunette's body, until the music began to play. It was unfamiliar and she didn't recognise it immediately, but Puck made a noise of approval at the slow opening piano melody. Quinn vaguely recognised the tune as Santana began to sing,

"Baby we can talk all night, but that ain't getting us no where. I told you everything I possibly can, there's nothing left inside of me"

Brittany and Rachel exchanged a wary glance and Jess and Puck frowned. Quinn swallowed as she listened to the lyrics Santana was singing, but the girl on stage didn't look up. Suddenly she could hear her heart rhythmically pounding in her ears and her chest felt tight, like there was a rope coiled around her, slowly being tightened. The humiliation started to creep up to her cheeks as the others glanced at her, when they could tear their eyes from Santana on the stage.

"And all I can do, is keep on telling you I want you, I need you, but there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you. Now don't be sad coz two out of three ain't bad"

Jess glanced over, biting her lip as Quinn's jaw tensed. Suddenly here was a very sick feeling in the pit of the blonde's stomach, but she couldn't bring herself to tear her eyes away from the brunette on the stage; it was like passing a car crash. She chewed on her lip, and Sam glanced at her with a worried frown as he listened to the brunette's words.

"I can't lie, I can't tell you that I'm something I'm not. No matter how I try I'll never be able to give you something, something that I just haven't got."

If Santana was aiming for a subtle song meaning, she definitely hadn't achieved her goal. Quinn cleared her throat quietly, pressing her lips together tightly as a stinging sensation grew behind her unblinking eyes.

"There's only one girl that I will ever love, and that was so many years ago"

Rachel glanced at Brittany and their eyes met with fearful understanding as the brunette continued her singing. She sang beautifully, but the song choice was not lost on anyone. It began to finish, and Quinn twisted her hands, staring down into her lap as the brunette sang the last lines.

"Baby we can talk all night, but that ain't getting us nowhere."

They all clapped politely, with a mixture of bemusement, unease, and tense irritation, and sat awkwardly in silence when the applause died down as Santana made her way back over to the table. She sat down with a polite smile, immediately reaching for her drink, and Quinn stared at the wet ring her glass had made on the table-top.

"Nice song, San" Puck nodded and she smiled her thanks. Rachel simply stared at her, while Jess and Sam averted their eyes

"Well sung as always, Santana" Brittany said politely, and Quinn took a breath

"I'm gonna sing. I'll be back in a second" she heading purposefully towards the DJ, and Sam glanced up nervously before Jess met his eye with a worried look, and the blonde returned a few minutes later.

They all made awkward conversation for the next few minutes, talking with forced casualness, until Quinn's name was called. She smiled politely at Santana as she cleared her throat and stood up "Wish me luck." They all shouted their support, and her heart rate sped up as she stepped up onto the stage "I need to thank Rachel Berry for finding a bar with so much song-choice for my next song" she grinned and Rachel's eyes widened in alarm as everyone turned to look at her questioningly, but she simply shrugged.