MayDay

"You didn't answer my question?" Santana frowned at the countertop in front of her. They had spent the rest of their meal, and the walk to Quinn's apartment, in silence, and the blonde's casual perkiness was becoming harder and harder to read, and making Santana more and more uncomfortable.

"What?" Quinn asked with a small smile, raising her eyebrows as she stared at the ceiling. Santana slowly turned from the two mugs on the counter, leaning her back against the countertop, her fingers curling underneath it in a tight grip. Quinn watched the girl's knuckles turn white as Santana swallowed,

"You never answered my question. About, about your parents." She glanced up at Quinn, who was now looking down at her hands, avoiding Santana's gaze. She took a deep breath and turned to pick up the two mugs behind her, sliding Quinn's tea across to the blonde, who smiled and stared into its contents. Santana watched as Quinn added milk and stirred her mug slowly, staring at the swirling liquid with a serene expression.

"Thank you." She grinned, tapping the spoon on the rim of her mug and still refusing to look at Santana. The brunette's expression slipped into a fearful wince, and she took a deep shaky breath, licking her lips and clearing her throat quietly as she sat down opposite the blonde.

"Look," her voice cracked and she swallowed a lump in her throat before speaking, "we both know what you're gonna do so let's just please get it over with." She balled her hands into fists, flexing her fingers a few times before letting out a small sigh, biting her lip as she rested her chin on her fists, before dropping her hands again and shifting restlessly in her chair.

"What do you mean?" Quinn asked jovially, smiling at the table top as Santana sighed impatiently, biting back tears.

"Q, stop acting like nothing's wrong, it's really annoying." She spoke quickly before gulping, staring at the blonde, who finally glanced up to meet her eyes, "So just do it, and you go your way and I'll go mine and we'll just act-"

"What are you talking about?" Quinn met her eyes for a moment once again with a worried frown, and Santana rolled her eyes with a sad shrug.

"I get it. You don't want me to meet your parents, so...so you clearly don't want to be with me that much." She blurted out, averting her eyes and swallowing, "So you...you just break up with me. And, and you can move on and, and..." her voice cracked, "It's fine." She gave a small shrug and smiled sadly at Quinn, "I understand."

Quinn was silent for a moment as she stared at Santana, her jaw tensed as she searched the brunette's eyes with a shocked frown, before she took a breath, "You think I don't want to be with you?"

"Of course you don't. It had to end sometime, and this is it, and at least we can just do it like, as painlessly as possible, and-"

"Santana, stop talking." Quinn spoke quickly, smiling fondly at Santana, "I'm not breaking up with you." She moved her hand onto Santana's forearm, stroking it back and forth slowly before lifting her wrist and kissing Santana's hand, "I love you."

"Really? You're not breaking up with me and everything?" Santana stared at her fearfully, and Quinn let out a small laugh.

"Of course not. I love you." She repeated, and Santana smiled, breathing a sigh of relief, but Quinn swallowed, "But... but I can't see you when my parents are here."

"That's okay. I understand you wanna spend time with them, don't worry." She smiled before looking down at their mugs of now-cold liquid, before grimacing and standing up, clearing the mugs with a relieved smile.

"No, I mean, we can't." Quinn swallowed and looked down at her hands "We can't have date night, and I can't stay at your place and you can't stay at mine"