Kissing in public

Modern Merlin 

"You ok, Arthur?" Merlin looked at his friend who had stopped walking. The setting sun made his hair look a beautiful copper colour with strands of bright gold. Arthur had come back a week ago and was still finding it hard to wrap his head around a few concepts of modern life, even with Merlin explaining everything patiently. This was the second time Arthur went out the house. The first time he tried to leave Merlin's house he turned around almost immediately and when Merlin asked the only response, he would get would be a murmured reply on how those "electric horses are too loud". This time he had managed to cross the road, with Merlin's help of course, and they were now walking in a large park.

"Yes... I still don't understand where the hot rain comes from in your chambers though..." Merlin laughed joyfully. His days had been filled with happiness and honestly, he was afraid that he would wake up one day and find that this was all a dream.

"Keep walking while I tell you." He waited until Arthur had caught up to him and then started explaining it all over again for the fourth time. "There are waters in some pipes that mean when I open the taps in the house water comes out of them." Arthur nodded to show that he understood. "Then if you turn the tap to one side hot water can come into it. That is because there is another pipe that has hot water in it."

"Yes, but where does this hot water come from?" He said exasperatedly.

"There is a water tank that heats the water. The electricity heats it." Arthur shook his head.

"I will never understand electricity." They kept walking, Arthur taking in their surrounding with wide eyes and listening to Merlin's constant chatter. He gawked at people that they passed making them look at him weirdly, but he didn't really care. An old couple walked by holding hands and leaning into one another. Arthur nearly tripped over at the sight of this but managed to not completely gaze open mouthed at them the whole time. He hit Merlin's arm to get his attention ignoring the boys protests and asked

"Did you see that? Is that legal?" Merlin looked for a while brows furrowed until something clicked in his brain.

"What, them holding hands? Yeah, that's normal, everyone can do it."

"But they are in love, that's different isn't it?"

"People are a lot less modest these days Arthur. Most people go practically naked to the beach, it's normal." Arthur didn't say anything but carried on walking. Merlin looked at him amused, wondering what must be going on in his brain and walked alongside him. He was startled when he felt a hand grab his gently. He looked down and saw Arthur's hand holding his, then looked up questioningly but didn't let go of the hand.

"So this is normal?" Arthur lifted their held hands.

"Yeah." Nothing else was said but Merlin was blushing slightly at the sudden sign of affection towards him. He had been quite lonely these couple of decades, having to leave any one he got close to after a few years due to the fact he couldn't age. Well, not while Arthur was gone. How he understood it, as soon as Arthur returned, he would resume aging again like a normal human so that meant... he could be by his side for the rest of his life. Hopefully.

Arthur was still thinking about the new information Merlin had given him when he saw two people on a bench. He stopped dead and stared at them. Two girls, one with very long wavy hair and another with shorter hair where sitting side by side on the bench kissing. He let go of Merlin's hand as Merlin carried on forward not realising Arthur had stopped but turned around as soon as he felt the warm hand leave his. Merlin followed Arthur's line of sight and realised immediately why he had stopped.

"Yes, girls can like girls."

"Yeah, but they are kissing in public." Merlin laughed

"That's what you where staring at?!" Arthur nodded. Merlin laughed relieved; he didn't know how Arthur would react to this topic, but he seemed perfectly fine with it. Arthur asked about kissing in public.

"That's also normal. Well, you wouldn't kiss someone in the middle of a meeting or something important but when you are in the park or out walking it's usually fine."

"So, does that mean two boys can also like each other?" He asked this looking directly into Merlin's eye making him slightly uncomfortable.

"Yes. C'mon" He grabbed Arthur's hand and tugged him until he started walking again. They walked around the park in silence for a long while in a comfortable silence, listening to the birds sing happily in the orange sky.

"I have been thinking, what did you do while you waited for me?"

"Nothing much really. I tried to make new friends but I've always had to leave because they would keep getting older while I would stay this way. I was in quite a bad state for the first few decades, I couldn't really recover after seeing you die and leaving everyone of Camelot, but I found a job and that kept me busy enough to not think about it too much. Then I got enough money to by the house and it's been quite nice having it." Arthur was looking at him intently the whole while.

"Are you happy I'm here now?" He couldn't keep the guilt from his voice. He felt guilty about leaving his friend alone for so long and had done nothing to repay the incredible act of kindness... loyalty?.. whatever it was Merlin had done.

"Happier than you could imagine." Merlin's smile proved just that, and Arthur felt a warm feeling rising in his chest. Whithought thinking he reached over and placed a hand on Merlin's cheek leaning down to kiss him. As soon as he did so Merlin froze. Arthur noticed this and started to pull away, but Merlin leaned into him and relaxed to show he was fine with it. More than fine actually. Nobody stared as they kissed in the middle of the park with the last of the suns ray lighting up the sky in a brilliant orange. They broke apart breathless and Arthur started to grin as he saw a blush making it's way up Merlin's neck.

"So that's normal?" He chuckled as Merlin punched him and his heart almost melted when he felt a head rest on his chest, probably to hide the blush.

"Dollop head." He murmured.

I'm very glad I'm back, Merlin thought Arthur as he closed his eyes enjoying every moment of that evening.