The Return of Arthur- Part 3

When Merlin finally came downstairs, he was surprised to say the least that Arthur had made diner. He sat down cautiously on the chair when Arthur made a gesture.

"Wow, I don't think you've ever made dinner before. Not even for Gwen." Arthur mumbled something as Merlin kept looking at him, impressed and amazed. They ate for a while chatting and teasing each other the whole time.

"That pizza was actually good." Arthur said after dinner as they both sat full on the sofa with the TV on in the background. Merlin nodded. "I was wondering if you still had magic." Merlin nearly chocked on his water at this. Way to bring it up at the right time, thought Arthur.

"Yes... but I hardly use it now. I only use it when I start to get the side affects of not using magic for a while which are me spontaneously doing magic which can be dangerous, I faint a lot because it feels like my skull is falling into my brain and normal stuff like insomnia." Arthur was listening fixedly, taking in every word. They sat in silence, Merlin waiting for Arthur to process it.

"That is really not healthy." Merlin erupted into a fit of laughter causing him to fall off his chair if Arthur had not caught him. "What? Are you laughing at me?" He put a hand to his chest in mock offence.

"Thanks, Mum, for worrying about me." Merlin managed to get out in between fits of laughter.

"I'm serious!" But he too was grinning. They both settled down after what felt like hours. "Show me."

"What?" Merlin whipped his head around to look at the past king of Camelot, the kingdom who was so against magic that millions of people were killed, and sorcerers lived in fear for their lives.

"Show me magic. If you are comfortable with it." Merlin looked at him in shock for some minutes before looking down at his hands and taking a deep breath. He held a palm out and whispered a incantation. A flash of light parked in Merlin's hand then died as fast as it appeared. A rushing sound filled the room and a massive blue flame erupted out of the sorcerer's hand and enveloping it. The sudden flame caused both boys to fall back, and Arthur scrambled away from Merlin and growing blue fire rapidly. The raven-haired boy cursed loudly before yelling out in a language Arthur didn't even know existed. The next thing Arthur knew was that it was raining inside. No pouring down. Chucking it down. Raining cats and dogs. It was tipping it dow- Yes ok we get it.

Arthur looked up, past the wet hair covering his eyes and saw Merlin leaning against the wall half standing with an amazing, powerful gold radiating from his eyes. Arthur completely forgot how to breath and thought for a moment he was maybe dreaming. The heavy rain amplified the golden glow in his eyes, making an overall hazy glowing effect on Merlin's face. He looked like a god. When Arthur blinked, his wet eyelashes made it look like he had a delicate gold halo around his head too.

Arthur snapped back to the situation back at hand and desperately tried to reach Merlin through the rain. He reached him and was surprised to see the golden eyes were still there. He grabbed the warlock's arm and tugged gently to get his attention.

"What is going on!" He yelled to be heard over the heavy rainfall.

"I can't- I can't stop it!" Arthur noticed the arm he was holding was shaking. No, his whole body was shacking. In the same instant he realised that Merlin had lost his grip on the magic and that panicking probably wont help which was exactly what Merlin was doing now. His breathing became heavy, and he started hyperventilating and sliding slowly down the wall as his legs gave way. Arthur held him and helped lower him slowly so he wouldn't get hurt. Merlin went into the fatal position and Arthur tried to calm him down.

"Merlin? Merlin can you here me? Listen to me. Concentrate on nothing but my voice. Merlin its all ok, everything is fine. Look I'm here, " he grabbed Merlin's hand and squeezed it tightly, "and you are also here. As long as we are both together nothing bad can happen."

It was hardly noticeable, but nevertheless the rain was slowing. Not in the sense that it was raining less heavily but it was literally falling slower through the air. Arthur noticed this and concluded that he is talking was helping.

"Your doing amazing Merlin. You are the strongest, bravest man I have ever met. So much braver than any of the other knights I trained in the past and stronger than any King I have ever met. You, Merlin, are bloody fantastic. Everything about you is incredible, the strange talent you have of not shutting up, your dorky clumsiness, your magic all of you is amazing. Every day I think about how lucky I am to have such an amazing man at my side who is so much more than just another one of my friends." The rain had completely stopped now and the fat droplets of water were suspended in air making the room seem...magical. Arthur saw all of this from the corner of his eye but kept his eyes fixedly on Merlin. His breathing had calmed down and become normal again and at some point, of Arthurs speech he had opened his eyes and was now staring right back at Arthur. Suddenly, the droplets of water all fell to the centre of the room, forming a large floating orb of water suspended at eye level. This was when Arthur finally broke Merlin's gaze to look at the water. It stayed still for a minute. In the blink of an eye the orb of water rushed in the direction of Arthur and Merlin. Arthur stepped back, trying drag Merlin who was still on the floor, behind him. The action proved useless as the orb made a beeline to Merlin and collided into his chest. Merlin sucked is a quick breath before suddenly going limp.