Why Merlin Never Gets Drunk

Gwaine had seen every one of his friends drunk at least once save for Merlin. Every Sunday he makes a big deal about going to the tavern and usually manages to drag along a few of the knights with him, he had even gotten Arthur to go along with him on one occasion but Merlin always seemed to slip through his fingers. But not this time.

After a long hunting trip, one where Merlin had mysteriously disappeared for a few hours and came back looking pale and exhausted, everyone wanted to relax and let go a little. 

"Why don't we go to the tavern? It'll be fun, start a couple of fights, spill some secrets, get lucky with a girl..." Gwaine broke off wriggling his eye brows.

"Because," Percival started "last time you got me there I woke up in your bed wearing a skirt and a flower crown...I still don't remember what happened" The knights burst out laughing as Percival frowned, trying to remember what happened that night. Merlin laughed with them half hardheartedly but really he was exhausted. A sorcerer working for Morgana had been following them in the hunting trip and Merlin had to sneak off and take care of him. Even with his magic Merlin had gotten a nasty blow to the head. 

"Well then, I have a question for you." Gwaine said, sure that this would spark there interest "Has anyone ever seen Merlin drunk?" 

"Of course! Why would you even say that? He's always down at the tavern instead of polishing my armor." Gwaine and the other knights raised there eyebrows at this.

"Merlin? Merlin has never set foot in that place, what are you talking about?" Arthur was preplexed now. 

"That settles it, we are all having a night out at the tavern."

Merlin, who was now the center of attention, found no more strength in him to protest or try to get away so he let himself be dragged. 

- - - - - - - - - - -

A few drinks later, the knights with Merlin stumbled out of the bar giggling, making there way to the castle. Lancelot sat down on the cold cobbled road too drunk to walk straight. The others stopped and resumed there drunken talk. 

"Arthur, I have something to tell you." Merlin slurred out, only half conscious of what he was doing. Author took a step closer to him and looked at him.

"I love you too." Arthur declared.

"What? But- But I have magic...." Merlin broke off with tears in his eyes. Lancelot got up clumsily and patted him on the back.

"Don't worry, no one will ever find out, I haven't told anyone." 

Arthur blinked a couple of times "Why didn't you tell me! I have been working on getting the ban off magic. But SHH I haven't told anyone." He said loudly so that two passing guards looked up and glanced at them confused.

= = = = = = = = = = 

The next morning Merlin woke up with a terrible head ache. When he opened his eyes he sat up quickly and stared around the room, extremely confused. 

"Merlin" came a groggy voice from the floor. 

Merlin was still tangled up in Arthur's bed sheets and twisted his head around to look down from the princes bed. Arthur, who was lay on the ground hugging a pillow and wearing a bright red rose in his hair, woke up to the sound of Merlin's laughter.