Cold

The sun started to set just as it started to snow heavily.

"Can we go back now I'm cold." Merlin whined. He and Arthur had been searching for an intruder all day in the boarders of Camelot and it had been freezing the whole time.

"Stop being such a girl Merlin, it's only a bit of snow." Arthur got off his horse and tied them up under a big tree which gave the horses some protection from the snow. "There's a cave just over head where we can rest. It's too late to go back to the castle now." He quickly scaled the rock and watched as Merlin struggled up it with numb fingers.

Once in the cave Merlin tried to get a fire going but it was all too wet and he couldn't risk using his magic in front of Arthur. Arthur rolled out his sleeping mat while Merlin sat at the mouth of the cave shivering.

"What are you doing?" Arthur called from where he lay

"Taking f-first w-watch." His teeth chattered so much he could hardly talk. Arthur, noticing this, sat up and looked at him.

"You'll catch your death sitting there. Come back into the cave and stop looking like such a nervous stoat." Merlin muttered some incoherent words and trudged back into the cave, finding a corner to curl up in and try to keep warm. Arthur saw him shake violently and frowned.

"Where is your blanket?"

"It's keeping that thick head of yours warm, you forgot yours in your chambers." Guilt rushed through Arthur, how selfless is Merlin? I didn't even consider making sure he brought warm clothing. And sure enough when he looked again he saw Merlin wearing the same tattered shirt as always.

"Come here." Merlin got up trembling from the cold. He stood next to Arthur, unsure what to do. "Lie down, there is enough room for two people under this blanket." He gaped, open mouthed at him. Arthur, being kind? Did Gaius put something in his breakfast this morning? He quickly snapped out of it and curled up next to Author, leaning into the warmth Author and the blanket provided. The prince next to him let out a hiss as he felt one of Merlin's ice cold arms brush him. He rolled over and put an arm over the shivering boy next to him, who's breathing slowed until Arthur too fell asleep.

The next morning Merlin woke with a smile on his face as he looked up and saw Arthur's peaceful face. He got closer to his face until there noses where almost touching and took a deep breath.

"ARTHUR, RISE AND SHINE!"