Blinded by the light - 2

Merlin was bored. The whole day he had been doing nothing except for sitting on Arthur's bed and slowly walking round the room, trying to get used to not seeing.

"Arthur I'm bored!" Merlin stood up and shuffled around the room again, trying to guess where Arthur was.

"Well, Merlin if you're well enough to be bored you should be able to but my clothes away. They are to your left." Merlin picked up a pile of clothes with a huff of annoyance and went to the back of the room. He heard Arthur get up and yell,

"I just have to see Leon a minute, don't do anything stupid." With that the door closed and Merlin was left to do his own things. The first few minutes Merlin carried on with folding Arthur clothes neatly in his cupboard, but the silence was too deafening. He felt too vulnerable and started to sweat nervously. He made his way back to the prince's desk and searched the table for a candle. His hand found one soon enough and he held it close to his chest while he muttered a quick spell under his breath. The candle lit but Merlin only knew by the warmth it was giving off. He held it up to his face, close to his eyes but he saw nothing, nothing except for a tiny pinprick of orange in the middle of the darkness if he concentrated hard enough. It all felt wrong. He hardly felt the heat as the melted wax started to drip down to his hands, burning his skin. He didn't hear anyone open the door, or their hurried steps coming closer with each step. I need something brighter. I need to see. The sun. I will be able to see the sun, surely.

He started to make his way hurriedly to the window, completely forgetting the candle that was in his hands still scorching his hands with wax dripping from his fingers to the floor. He only managed to take a few steps before he collided with whoever came in. Merlin suppressed a scream and struggled to get up, heart racing wildly.

"What the hell are you doing?" The young boy nearly sobbed in hearing the princes' voice. Instead he puts a hand out to feel for Arthur who hissed when they finally found him.

"What is the matter with your hand? It's boiling!" His eyes widened as he looked down and saw Merlin's burnt hands shaking. Guilt immediately washed over him, How could he be so stupid to leave him like this? His expression softened, even though Merlin couldn't see it and he lifted the young boy up gently to his bed. 

"I- There was... I can't- You -" Merlin tried to talk but to Arthur's alarm he burst into tears. He took the candle from his hands and held Merlin close to him muttering words of comfort. Finally, he broke the hug and got an old cloth and a bowl of water. He washed the drying wax of his hands carefully and tried to sooth the burns, thinking that he would go to Gaius latter to get an ointment. Merlin was touched at how gentle he was being. His hands rested lightly on Arthur's as the cloth brushed his skin with slow, calming movements. He sat listening to the prince's breathing as his heart rate slowed down.

"I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have left you. Are you're hands hurting? I'm just cooling them with some water right now."

"I never thought the day would come where you would apologise to me." Said Merlin with a chuckle, lightening the mood.

- - - - - - -

Merlin didn't eat much at dinner. Arthur watched as he smelt his food wearily and took a few bites out of it before stating he was full. As the day came to an end, both boys fell asleep rather early with Arthur on his bed and Merlin on the floor right next to his bed with a nice thick blanket. Before falling asleep Arthur muttered a quick good night and flopped his arm out of the bed to ruffle Merlin's hair, just to remind him he was not alone.