Blinded by the light - 1

When Arthur set out to find a sorcerer in the woods, he had no idea the trouble it would cause.

It all started off well, Merlin, Lancelot and Gwaine rode with author in the woods of Camelot, looking a supposed sorcerer who was working for Morgana. The day wore on and still no sign of anything. Arthur was just about to call everyone back when Merlin started walking rapidly towards a bush, his posture ready to fight or run at any moment and honesty, Arthur just thought it was another one of Merlin's "funny feelings" and so turned to call Lancelot when he heard the scream that tore through the silent. Everything happened at once, a man jumped from the bushes towards the young servant with his hands outstretched as Lancelot and Gwaine drew their swords ready to protect the defenseless boy. Arthur had just enough time to turn around and see Merlin get blasted back as a powerful flash of light erupted from the man's hands. It hit him square in the face and he fell to the ground unconscious. Lancelot rushed to his friends' side while Gwaine carried on towards the sorcerer.

Some time passed before Merlin woke. The sorcerer had delivered a few words of warning, a message from Morgana, and left in a puff of smoke. Gwaine was not happy he had gotten away before he had properly harmed him. Now Lancelot and Arthur where debating whether they should ride home with Merlin unconcise on the back of a horse or wait until he woke when they were interrupted with a loud moan.

"Ugghh..."

There heads spun and they rushed to the side of a stirring Merlin.

"Merlin. Merlin. Can you hear me?" Arthurs worried voice echoed in Merlin's head painfully. His eyes fluttered open but he was met with nothing but darkness.

"How long have I been asleep for?" Came his groggy reply.

"An hour at the most. Look do you think you'll be able to make the ride back?"

Merlin ignored his question "Why is it so dark then?" Arthur looked at him confused.

"What are you talking about mate? There is not a cloud in the sky." Gwaine pointed at the sky as if to prove his point but Lancelot felt something was seriously wrong.

"Merlin, can you really not see anything? How many fingers am I holding up?"

Arthur held up three fingers as Merlin blinked furiously a few times, his breathing becoming more and more jagged.

"I- I can't see. Everything's black. I can't- It's dark..." The young boy started panicking, his breaths coming out in short quick pants as he pressed himself against the tree behind him. He heard Lancelot's gentle reassuring voice drift into his ear to his right and slowly calmed his thoughts enough to listen to what he was saying.

" -aius must have a remedy for you. It's probably just from the blow you got, it's going to be alright." In the background he heard Arthur and Gwaine murmuring quietly, there words too hushed to hear what they where saying.

Some branches snaped next to him and he turned his head instinctively just to be met with Arthurs voice rising out of the darkness.

"The ride should only be four hours. Do you think you can manage it?" Merlin nodded.

The journey back was uneventful except for Merlin getting on Arthurs horse halfway because riding on his own got too much for him.

- - - - - - - -

"From what I heard you got quite a blow to the head. I think you have a slight concussion, nothing too serious and the flash of light must have damaged your eyesight. It's not permanent but I'm afraid you won't be able to have you're full eyesight for a week or so."

"A week!" Merlin was currently sitting on a chair with Gaius examining him and Lancelot at his side watching everything worriedly.

"You're lucky it's nothing worse! If it wasn't for your magic, you'd be blind for the rest of your life." Lancelot cast an anxious glance to the door.

"What am I going to do for a week? How am I going to serve Arthur like this?" Just at that moment Arthur strode through the door. Gaius told the prince all that he knew when Merlin felt a whisper next to his ear.

"Do you know a spell that could get your eyesight back?"

"No. But even if I did, I wouldn't use it, it would seem suspicious, how quickly I recovered." Lancelot took a hasty step back as Arthur started talking.

"Merlin, stay here for the rest of the week with Gaius watching over you. You may return when you get better but for now have some rest." The young warlock was about to protest when he heard Gaius's reply.

"Sire, if he stays here, he will be all alone surrounded with remedies and poisons. I'm too busy to stay and watch over him."

Arthur paused to think then said "Then he can stay with me. George can serve me but I want you where I can see you the entire time, ok?"

Great, a whole week next to Arthur meant no using magic, no nightmares and Merlin having to put up with the prat for 24/7. This was going to be so much fun.