Chapter 8- Energy and Anxiety

I woke up the next morning feeling anxious and exhausted. I slept for a total of maybe eight hours, but I was still ready to go back to sleep. I stayed there for a little bit, dreading the day ahead.
"(Y/N), get up," our manager said. She practically dragged me off of my mat to get me up.
"Fine." I got up to change into my practice clothes. "Who do we play first?"
"I believe we play our boy's team first today," she said, and then double checked our schedule that we had taped to the wall.
"Yep, we're playing them first."
"Cool."
In my head I was thinking, Great, I can't wait to be pummeled.
It was starting to get really hard to get excited about playing volleyball. I remember when I thought I'd be playing volleyball forever, and I'd never not be excited to play, but when I got to high school, I started to realize that it's not all fun and games.
I didn't know how mean people could be. I came in on my first day all starry eyed and hopeful, only to be met with cold shoulders and bad attitudes.
It's not that I wasn't excited anymore, it's just that with the team that I have, I can't really celebrate my small victories within each set. Every time my tiny body gets a block off of a 6'2 guy is something that I have to celebrate within myself now.
When I was younger, I could jump up and down and scream my excitement to the whole world. Now I just kinda pump my fist and tell myself that I made a good play.
The only reason I haven't quit yet is because I've had good teams that I've been able to cheer with, and I have hope that I'll be able to find another one once I'm finished with high school.
"Great, I'm gonna get changed and I'll meet you guys in the cafeteria for breakfast," I grabbed my clothes and rushed to the bathroom.
I must have woken up later than I thought because I got to the cafeteria and my team was already almost done with breakfast and leaving.
So I scarfed down my food and sprinted to the gym to warm up.
I passed Bokuto and the rest of his team on the way.
"Woah (Y/N) slow down!" Bokuto put his arms up in order to avoid me.
"Sorry Bokuto! I gotta go warm up so that I can beat your ass later!" I laughed as I heard him growl in frustration. Footsteps raced after me.
We raced to the gym, running as fast as we could. I'm not sure who won, but both of us argued for a while afterward about who did.
"I totally won," Bokuto gasped.
"No, I won."
"Whatever you know I won."
I rolled my eyes and went with him to our court. There were only a couple teams in the gym, and the games weren't supposed to start for another thirty minutes.
Akaashi and I peppered over the net until it was time for our teams to warm up separately. He was all calm and controlled, and I was a little shaky.
"Hey are you alright?" He asked, catching the ball.
"Yeah-" I crossed my arms. "What would make you think I wasn't?"
"You suck right now."
"Thanks."
I turned around and left him to go get a sip of water. I know it was a crummy thing to do, but I didn't really want to have to explain why I was feeling bad.
When I looked back after getting a drink, I saw both Akaashi and Bokuto whispering and looking at me with concern. I was too pissed at everything to go over and explain why I was feeling pissed, especially because I didn't know why I was so mad.
We played the boy's team and won after going into extra points. Bokuto's energy was different though. He was quieter, and he didn't get as mad as he normally did when Akaashi didn't set him.
We won all of our sets that day. I guess that's good.
Today I finally noticed the Karasuno teams closing the point gap. Both of them.
The boy's team lost to us 25-20, which was a huge difference compared to the first day. The girl's team lost to us, 25-17. They were improving too. It seemed to me that the more tired everyone else got, the more energetic Karasuno became, like they were feeding off our energy.
I decided to practice with the Karasuno boy's team today, so that I could get a feel of their energy and practice. I had to see what was happening that made them better.
Hinata invited me of course, I wasn't going to barge in and make them practice with me.
And when I walked back after getting a small snack from the cafeteria, I couldn't believe what I saw.
They weren't practicing as a team, but they were all working on their individual skills. Only the setters and spikers were working together. But Noya wasn't on the other side, receiving those hits, he was over by the wall, setting to himself. Asahi wasn't with the other spikers, but he was working on his topspin serve with Tadashi (Who was working on his jump float).
When each group saw me, they tried to get me to come over. Noya wanted me to help him set, Tadashi wanted me to help his serve, and the spikers wanted me to block, especially Hinata.
And they all yelled at me at the same time.
I ended up running to Tadashi, mostly so I could hit something. He, Asahi, and I served together for about 20 minutes, I occasionally gave Tadashi pointers about his form, until Noya pulled me away so he could have a setting partner.
"Can I ask you a question?" he asked as we set back and forth to each other.
"Shoot."
"What's up with your team? Like jeez, why don't they celebrate anything?"
I sighed. "That's a question I definitely don't know the answer to. I don't know why, but I'm not super popular within the team. The only thing they see is my mistakes."
"Oh..."
I thought he was done until he spoke really LOUDLY again.
"Well you're with us now. Stick with us and you'll be amazing."
Everyone else stopped practicing and nodded, showing their agreement.
"Aww, thank you, but ya know, after this week, I'm probably never going to see you guys again," I frowned and looked back at Noya. He was taller than me if his hair was factored in.
"I know," he shrugged," but if you ever move and find yourself in the Miyagi prefecture, keep Karasuno in mind."
I laughed. "I will."
I had no idea then that I would be playing there in just a few weeks.