Chapter 2- 5'2

✨Flashback

            Only a couple days before the camp, I dislocated my index finger during practice. We were practicing our defense with a drill that included passing high enough for a partner to hit the ball back, with the cycle continuing.
            The drill was going pretty well before my partner, one of our third years, hit the ball to my left. Of course, I lunged that way, not seeing the bench.
            My outstretched hand collided with the bench and the pain was enough for my scream to  echo throughout the gym.
             I thought it was broken, and I was afraid that  I wouldn't be able to play.
             Luckily the athletic trainer said that it was just dislocated and I would still be able to play, which made it a little bittersweet.
             Now the reason I say that is because I was happy, but everyone else seemed almost annoyed. This only confirmed my suspicions that my partner mabe did this on purpose. Ayaka, my partner, has more precision with her hits than anyone I know (which is why she was the ace),which means she messed up intentionally.
               Now I could just be totally paranoid. Maybe she made a mistake, but judging by how they always treat me, I can't shake that feeling.

End of Flashback

    When the day of the camp finally came, my fingers were still sore from the dislocation, so I had to tape them together. I did it on the bus, so it was a little hard, and it kinda hurt. No one offered to help me either.
    School was over, so I had nothing else to do, so I just listened to music and stared out the window, watching the big cities change to suburbs, then into trees.
             That's right. Shinzen was known for their punishments of running up the hill and forest behind the school. It's a good one, but if we lose too many sets, we'll be too tired to win anymore, and the domino effect will occur.
              We got to the place we were staying at Saturday evening, so the camp would start the next day. Apparently, this is where everyone else was staying too, besides Shinzen Players, who just stayed at their own homes.
    Fukurodani's Boy's team was already here, and it looked like they had been for a while, given the state of their room, but then again, they could have created that mess in a matter of seconds. I waved at Bokuto, who waved back enthusiastically.
    "HEY HEY HEY (Y/N)! DO YA WANNA COME PRACTICE LATER?"
    "Bokuto, I'm right here. Use your inside voice."
    He pouted, and his spiky hair drooped.
    "But sure, I'd love to come practice with you guys."
    It's amazing how quickly his mood changes. I adjusted the bags on my back as Akaashi handed me a folded slip of paper with the practice info on it.
    "Wow," I giggled. "So official. You guys don't even do that for normal practices."
    Akaashi scoffed. "Well since this is your first time at the school, we drew out a map  so that you wouldn't get lost. Oh and also a couple of the Nekoma players will be there as well. We'll start at 8, and who knows how long it'll go."
    I giggled again. "Yeah especially with this bonehead running the show." I pointed my thumb at Bokuto.
    "I am not a bonehead," he growled.
    "Of course not, you're just a big baby."
    "I am NOT A BABY!"
    "Baby or bonehead, you choose," I laughed as I walked away. "I'll see you guys at 8!"
    I ran to catch up with my team.

First Year Flashback
    Given my status with my own team, naturally, I looked for other groups to hang out with in my spare time early in my first year. I stumbled upon those gems by overhearing Bokuto's yells . I was walking in the hallway next to one of the gyms after on of our first practices ended.
    "HEY HEY HEY! I AM THE BEST! DID YA SEE THAT AKAASHI?" I heard. This was followed by a mumble I could barely hear, which was a nice contrast to the other voice.
    "Bokuto, you shouldn't be so loud with the gym door open."
    I was a little confused as to why this one was still going on, given that mine had just ended. So I glanced inside, seeing the volleyball practice. And no sooner than I did, a cut shot made by a guy with spiky hair was sped toward me.
    I didn't know what to do, I freaked out and just out of instinct, I stuck out my platform.   
    It was a pretty good dig in my opinion, and everyone else thought it too, seeing as it went right back into one of the manager's hands.
    "Woah did you see that Akaashi?" The guy with the spiky hair asked, and looked at another guy, who was maybe a first year, but I didn't know. He kind of had this "whatever" look about him, which made him look older than he was.
    "Yeah, everyone did Bokuto."
    "Oh my gosh, I am so sorry, I was just watching and I freaked out, and..."
    Everyone was staring at me, and I kind of trailed off when Bokuto approached me. I was (and still am) 5'2, so he was about a whole foot taller than me, and my skittishness didn't really help.
    He glared at me, then turned around to a big guy that I assumed to be the captain.
    "Hey Captain, can she practice with us?"
    This confused the hell out of me. Why would this guy want to practice with me? The captain would say no.
    "If she wants," he shrugged. I was even more confused.
    "Cool! So wadaya say random girl? Wanna practice, you're already in volleyball clothes."
    I was so intimidated by this team and how big they were, I nodded just so that they wouldn't kill me for saying no.
    "Alright!" Bokuto jumped for joy and pulled me onto the court. "We're just doing hitting lines for now, so what do you want to do?"
    "What do you mean?" I squeaked.
    "Do ya wanna spike or receive?"
    "Ummm, you pick. What do you want me to do?"
    The guy Bokuto kept calling Akaashi crept up behind me.
    "You should try receiving, we have enough spikers at the moment."
    So they put me in the middle back position, and everything was all a blur from there.