Chapter 1- Meat Buns

"Girls, we're going to the training camp!" our captain, Nanami cheered. The rest of the team followed. This team had been trying for years to get into this camp. And it finally happened.
It was a big deal, and I was excited, don't get me wrong, but I don't know how much more of this team I can take. The camp requires that each team stays within a ten mile radius of the school that it is being held at, and (lucky me) it's being held at Shinzen, not Fukurodani.
So it will be like a weeklong sleepover with my toxic friends.
"Who else is going?" asked one of our first years, Yuzuki. "Or do we get to play with the boys?"
I tried to ignore the hint of naughtiness in her voice.
Nanami looked at our coach, who crossed her arms and sighed.
"Karasuno High's girl's team will be there, but they will be the only ones. And just so you all know, there will be no fooling around of any kind with any of the boys. If I catch you, you don't play."
Coach really emphasized those last three words. I didn't need to worry about that for myself, from experience. I've never "fooled" around with anyone in my life, so I was pretty safe. However we had the rest of the team to worry about. They for some reason didn't care about the non-playing part of what the coach said.
"Karasuno?" Nanami repeated. "Don't they suck?"
The coach shook her head. "Whether they suck or not, it doesn't matter. We still play like it's a National championship, you all hear me?"
I (again) ignored the whispers from the new first years behind me that said, " Yeah but they lost that match."
That match was still fresh in our minds, but it wasn't funny. Everyone on the team cried that day, including me. We all hated to trip at the finish line the way we did, that was all one thing we had in common.
We're training hard this summer, which is why it was so huge to get into the training camp, even though our boys team had always been a part of it. I was excited to play the boys teams, not because they're boys, but because they're boys.
Boys teams always have more power and confidence than women, and that's not always a good thing. Girls volleyball is always to play smarter, not harder, while the boys always have to slam the ball down, which I think will be fun.
I think it will be interesting to see how this all plays out with the boys teams. I wonder how we'll compare.
Of course, all the rest of my team cares about is playing against the boys. The boys that are sex hungry and flirtatious.
Of course they want to get better, but most of the team feels like we peaked at the Nationals. They don't believe they can get better. But I know we can, and that's why they hate me.
At least I think.
I really don't know why they hate me, that's just my best guess.
Maybe I'm the bitch. Maybe I'm way worse at social interaction than I think I am. Maybe my friendly suggestions on the court come off as bossy and rude.
Practice broke up after that announcement. Girls changed into their street shoes, and first years took down the net. I was a second year so I packed up and left.
I picked up some meat buns from the grocery store on the way home, which made me a little late for the daily episode of my brother's favorite show, which he hates to start without me.
"You're late," Kenji pouted as I walked inside.
"I know I know," I said as I held up the meat buns. "But I brought dinner. We can eat it while we watch the show."
His out turned lip went away.
"You never buy food, what's up?"
Even though he was nine years old, he was pretty smart. He noticed things, like how I don't like to use money to buy my own food.
"Well, do you remember that training camp that I was telling you about?"
"You got in?"
"Yeah. Is there a problem? You get a whole week alone, without your annoying older sister."
"Whatever. Hand over the meet buns."
The show was already halfway done when we finally sat down to watch it, so Kenji had to explain all that had happened to me.
"So now they're both trying to get into her pants?"
"Yeah, it's so stupid! She should have stayed with Deimos, because none of this would have happened."
I get that soap operas are not the best choice when it comes to binge watching content with your baby brother, but he likes it, so I put up with it.
"Well Deimos should have killed Yun. That's why she left him."
"You know what? I'm not even going to have this conversation with you."
"We only made little comments throughout the rest of the show until it ended, and then we went our separate ways.
I didn't really have anything to do in my room other than read or set to myself, so I decided to hit my volleyball against the wall outside with the little daylight I had left.
As I went through the normal routine of peppering with myself, I thought about the training camp, and who would be there. Nanami said that both Karasuno teams would be there, along with the rest of the boys teams from Nekoma, Shinzen, Obigawa, and of course Fukurodani's boys team as well.
I had already done plenty of research on our teams, and Obigawa and Shinzen were very easy to read, so I mainly focused on researching Nekoma.
Those cats intrigued me. None of them were exceptional at anything, however all of them were pretty well rounded at every aspect of the game. But that doesn't explain why they do so well.
I've never been able to really get a good look at them because our team has never played them before. But if we play them at the training camp, I should have all I need to know once we play a match or two.
Karasuno was a complete mystery to me. I never saw them as a threat, so I never committed any time to them. But now that they got into the camp, they've either got a really annoying sponsor, or they became good enough to be let in.
So when it became too dark to practice, I went into my room, broke out my scouting notebook, and got to work.
Academically, Karasuno was a pretty decent school. They had a 94% graduation rate, with a couple good magnet classes. Their sports teams were less successful, with the boys volleyball team 8th in their prefecture.
I mean, I guess that's not horrible. But what I didn't understand was how they got into one of the most prestigious training camps in the region. First years wouldn't be attracted to that school because of their record, and players can't improve that fast in even a couple of months with even the very best training.
So what happened?