Chapter 17- Humanization

The next morning went pretty much the same as the day before, save Kenji leaping onto me when hearing that he could come with Suga and the rest of the boys.
    The bus was fairly quiet, everyone trying to convince themselves that it was because they needed to save energy. No one wanted to admit that they were terrified.
    It was at this time that I found myself missing my two best friends from home. Bokuto and Akaashi were really my only friends in Tokyo. Sure there were the people that I did my projects with and made small talk with during lunch, but other than that, I mostly kept to myself.
    They were like the perfect friends. Not because they were super nice or anything (they totally were, but that's not the reason), but because they were perfect together.
    Akaashi would always be there for the silent support that I needed, and would always know the perfect thing to say to calm me down or keep me grounded. And Bokuto would always find a way to make me laugh or bring me out of a stupor.
    I always felt like an outlier when it came to those two, because I was scared that I didn't bring enough to the group, but eventually I got over that, knowing that they would be there for me if I would be there to support them, so that's exactly what I did.
    Akaashi would have had a good comment to calm me down in the moments leading up to our match against Niiyama Girls Academy. And Bokuto would have had everyone in the crowd cheering for us in a way that would make my confidence soar.
    But they weren't there, and it brought me close to tears. It was no time for crying though. It was time to kick ass.
    Niiyama's statistics were pretty good. Them and Shiratorizawa were always in the championship match playing against one another, however they always lost in a landslide. This team would be tough.
    "Queens," read Watabe. Their poster kinda sucked for such a good school.
    "Well they are really good," I said. I looked back at my notebook, where I took down some notes from the night before. " That's their label across the prefecture as the only team that's ever been able to take Shiratorizawa to five sets in the championship. But that only happened once like four years ago. That team is long gone."
    "That doesn't mean we're not the underdog," she replied. I nodded.
    "We definitely are, but hey, that never stopped the boys."
    I went over to Aihara to warm up like I did the day before. It was a lot hotter in the gym than it was the day before too, prompting me to take off my jacket, revealing my jersey.
    "You hot?" Aihara asked me, a little concerned.
    "Yeah, I'm already sweating," I said, fanning myself with my hand as a joke.
    She warmed up her arm as she hit to me.
    "How are you doing?" she asked.
    "I'm good," I grunted between hits. I could see she was on edge, and I could feel it in the force of her hits. "How are you doing?"
    "I'm good, I'm good."
    She whiffed the ball and I dove to get it.

Boy's POV
    Kenji was bouncing in his seat between Suga and Daichi, who secretly vowed to never let him out of their sight. Kenji was now the baby of the team, and Hinata had already made him promise to join the team in his first year of highschool.
    Even Tsukkishima had taken a likeness to the kid, finding some joy in the fact that this little boy liked dinosaurs. There was a stegosaurus on his shirt that day, and every time he looked over, the ice in his glare thawed ever so slightly, but it was enough for his best friend to notice. Now Tadashi had an undying love for (Y/N)'s little brother, and the acceptance of the two captains, it quickly spread throughout the team.
    Hinata was complaining about how nice all the girls teams were to each other compared to the boys when, somehow, a ball flew up to the stands and hit him in the face.
    Kageyama was laughing his ass off.
    "How did you still manage to get hit in the face when you're all the way up here?" He wheezed and looked down to find (Y/N) on the ground, panting after retrieving the ball.
    "Sorry Hinata! Can we have the ball back?" she yelled up to him. He was still a little dazed, the ball in his lap.
    He dropped the ball down to her and pouted. "This was supposed to be the day where I didn't get hit in the face for once!"
    Suga chuckled and turned to Kenji, who was still laughing at Hinata.
    "She really does have the hustle," he said to Daichi. "I still don't understand how Fukurodani didn't use her more effectively. I wouldn't care if I didn't like her. I would trust her on the court to do anything I needed her to."
     Daichi nodded in agreement. "The thing about a player like her is that people become intimidated by her skill and look for anything to bring her down. She's one of the sweetest girls I've ever met, and maybe they mistook her shyness off the court as a weakness. They needed to humanize her in some way and unfortunately for her, that's how they chose to do it."
    "But Fukurodani is a whole team of monsters. How did the rest of them click so well?" Suga ruffled Kenji's hair as he spoke. He remembered seeing her cry that day at the training camp, so defeated and sad. She was resting her head on the shoulder of the boys team's setter. He remembered how confused he was to see her laughing the next minute yelling at their captain about how they would crush the boys.
    "I don't know. But I do know that I'm glad she came here, and the girls team is lucky to have her."
    They looked to her, now warming up with the rest of the team. She was hustling and digging up balls that most people would just let go in a warm up.
    "The girl's team needed a wake up call," Daichi continued. "She was just the player to give it to them."

What's up you guys!? Updates will be coming sooner now! Um if you guys do have any questions about rotations or anything like that, don't hesitate to comment any questions or dm me! I'm happy to help!