n i n e t e e n

The fairy realm was exhausting

The fairy realm was exhausting. Beautiful, but exhausting all the same. Jeno couldn't remember how many times he had said something like, "Donghyuck don't touch that!" or "Jaemin get back here!" in the few minutes since they had left the field. 

Not to mention the fact that Jeno had to pinch himself every few seconds in order to keep his own mind in reality and on the task at hand.

Speaking of which... what was that task again?

Right. Renjun.

Consistently losing his own train of thought was bad enough, but to add on to that, Donghyuck and Jaemin were already becoming dazed by the bright (and rather poisonous looking) plants in the forest surrounding them.

Donghyuck reached his hand out towards a flower by the side of the path. Jeno slapped it away.

He glanced at Jaemin who had, once again, stopped several meters behind them to observe a pink tree branch.

Jeno sighed. He was definitely on his own for this one. 

They walked on. Despite the bright colours of the plants in the forest, everywhere they walked felt like a repeat of what they had just passed. If someone told Jeno they had been walking in a circle this entire time, he would believe them because the three of them knew of nothing other than the fact that they wanted to move in the general forward direction.  

There was a faint rustle in the leaves, followed by a nearly inaudible whisper. Jaemin stopped in his tracks, causing Jeno to turn around too.

In the blink of an eye, Jeno felt his feet being grounded in place, unable to move no matter how hard he tried. Jaemin and Donghyuck seemed trapped too, since Jaemin stood completely still where he had been grounded and Donghyuck struggled so hard to free himself that he fell over.

A hooded figure appeared from behind the bushes on the side of the path. From where Jeno stood, he could only see a pair of piercing red eyes underneath the cloak, that was, until the fairy removed her cloak, revealing her flowing hair and stunning wings— electric blue... just like Renjun's.

"Who are you?"

Jeno stood still, giving Donghyuck a quick gesture to stay silent behind his back.

The fairy lifted a hand, bringing along with it a collection of sharp-looking branches.

"I said, who are you?" she said, raising her voice and turning the collection of branches towards them. It gave Jeno the stark impression of knives.

"I'm Jaemin..." the boy replied dazedly. Jeno stuttered and fell over, right next to Donghyuck who he once again, gave a gesture telling him to stay silent.

A corner of the fairy's mouth lifted into a mischievous smile. "You're mortals... I like this one," she mused, making her way over to Jaemin.

"Who are you?" Jeno asked, finally gathering up the courage.