s i x

Over the course of the next few days, the question Jeno received the most was always something to do with Renjun

Whether it be something like 'are you two dating?' or 'how did you two get so close?' Both of those questions were ridiculous, seeing as they weren't close at all, let alone dating. Regardless, Jeno had already lost track of the number of people who had asked him these exact questions.

It was annoying, and Jeno felt that he could finally understand a little bit about what Renjun had to go through. All of the unwanted attention drained his energy. Jeno couldn't even begin to imagine what Renjun had to go through every single day. There was no doubt the latter had it way worse than himself.

Jeno had yet to find someone who wasn't amazed by Renjun's presence.

Aside from this, Jeno still had the responsibilities of research for their assignment on his back, as well as his job as basketball captain.

Jeno was pretty sure being basketball captain shouldn't be this hard. 

For one, his team shouldn't be allowed to just run off after the end of practice, leaving Jeno to pick up all of the balls alongside Mark, who was their team's vice-captain. Mark could barely even help him due to his injured foot.

For another, they had a game in less than two weeks, yet Jeno still had to deal with the two youngest of their team, Chenle and Jisung's constant bickering.

It was mentally exhausting.

Jeno had sent Mark to sit on the bench, not having the heart to ask him to pick up basketballs while on crutches. 

"So, what's going on between you and Renjun?" Mark asked, watching as Jeno walked around the gym and scooping up the stray basketballs to bring back to the equipment room.

"You too, hyung? Do you know how many times people have asked me that?" Jeno said, controlling his tone of voice.

"I was just asking. Renjun is really pretty."

"I know."

Mark was one year older than them, a senior at their high school. At the beginning of the year, Mark was the one who had been given the title of team captain, but he injured his foot just days after their practice had begun and had settled on handing the title down to Jeno.

Now, Mark only came to their practices once in while to give suggestions and other things like that.

"You know, maybe you should actually try going after Renjun," Mark suggested.

Jeno gave him a skeptical look.

"I'm serious Jeno. If anyone has a chance with him, it's you."

Jeno certainly had developed some sort of feelings towards Renjun, but although he hated to admit it, Jeno had gotten nowhere with getting Renjun to open up.

Jeno shrugged. Really, he was nowhere past the stage that everyone else was at with Renjun.

When all the basketballs had been cleaned up, Jeno bid farewell to Mark who was now on his way home. Jeno made his way towards the change room to tidy himself up.

Just when he was about to leave, something from an open locker caught his eye. Placed in the corner of the locker was a sparkly silver locket.

Jeno was a little puzzled as to what a locket was doing in the boys change room, but he didn't think too much of it.

Instead, he decided to pocket the necklace. He could bring it to the office tomorrow.

—☆—

The next day, Jeno found himself rushing to school again, specifically to find Renjun while he was still alone in the classroom.

Jeno had learned that Renjun always got to school particularly early for a reason unknown, but it was a convenient way for them to be able to talk in private as Jeno still didn't have Renjun's number saved on his phone.

Jeno wasn't sure if Renjun even had a phone.

"Good morning," Renjun greeted as he walked through the door of the classroom.

"Hi," Jeno replied, collapsing into the seat next to Renjun.

"You are here early again, so I'm just going to assume you're here to find me."

"Yes," Jeno said, sitting up straight again.

Renjun's attention was still focused on his drawing.

"Is it true that you can't lie?" Jeno asked.

For a split second, Renjun stopped his movements. "You've been doing your research?"

Jeno nodded. "Now answer the question please."

Renjun hesitated. "I believe there is truth in that," he said warily.

"Seriously? But then what would happen if you lied?" Jeno asked.

"I can't tell you that," Renjun replied. "You're curiosity is going to get you killed someday, Jeno."

Jeno gave a light-hearted laugh. "Are you concerned about me?" he risked.

Renjun rolled his eyes. "Don't get your hopes up."

Jeno sulked.

"Now that you've asked me a question, I get to ask you a question in return," Renjun said.

"Ask away."

Renjun smiled. "Where did you get that locket?" he questioned, pointing a finger at the silvery chain stored away in the side of Jeno's bag.

"I found it in a gym locker," he responded easily. "Why do you ask?"

"No reason," Renjun said and then diverted his attention back to his task on hand.

Jeno could've sworn he saw a mischievous smile tint the other's face for a split second.

Renjun was tricky, and it was going to take a lot more than a little bit of research to figure him out.

---

late but 7dream is back!!!
stream deja vu yall