t w e n t y - o n e

Jeno stared at Renjun's fist (read: magic sparkling fist), just the slightest bit scared because Renjun looked like he was about to set the forest on fire

Renjun let out a frustrated groan, throwing a ball of electric blue magic at a pile of leaves, which immediately blew up into a sparkling blue flame.

"Renjun? Maybe you should calm down..." Jeno tried, only Renjun seemed to have blocked out Jeno's voice entirely.

"Lee Jeno, you have no idea what you've just done!"

Jeno sighed and added that to the number of times the fairy had said that exact sentence to him in the past half hour. 

"No...?" Jeno responded weakly.

"The number of fairies that are probably trying to get through the border right this minute," Renjun muttered under his breath, "Good job, you've pretty much just surrendered me, you, and all your friends to a mob of angry fairies."

Jeno stared at the blazing fire by the side of the tree. That wasn't his intention, why would it be? He was just so caught up in the moment that he didn't think about the potential consequences of his actions. 

Jaemin and Donghyuck sat side by side at the base of the large willow tree. Renjun's first instinct when they had gotten back was to make them the soup, which Jeno and Renjun fed to Jaemin and Donghyuck respectively.

The two were now sound asleep on each other's shoulders, most likely exhausted from that little adventure they had just experienced.

"Why can't they reach us by the way?" Jeno asked, curious because it seemed that fairies were supposed to be able to travel through the realms easily.

Renjun gestured towards the watch between Jeno's hands. 

"That watch changed our timeline," Renjun responded. "Anyone who wasn't with us but was in the same realm as us when the dial was turned is existing in a different timeline than us right now."

Jeno's eyes lit up. "That's great! Then why are you so worried?"

"That watch will only be able to hold them off for so long. This is the entire fairy population we're talking about— that includes the strongest ones," Renjun responded, throwing a final ball of flame before sitting down.

It was still a mystery as to how a magical fairy artifact had ended up in his best friend's possession. Right place at the right time, he assumed. A mere coincidence, and most likely the reason why Jaemin was always so so lucky.

"How long do we have?" 

Renjun shrugged. "A few days maybe, not long."

Jeno got up, putting on a smile before hiding his hands inside the sleeves of his hoodie. "Well, maybe we can use these next few days to relax..." he offered a sleeve-covered hand to Renjun, who only scoffed in response.