t h i r t e e n

It was no doubt hard having everyone think you were going insane while in reality, you were perfectly fine

Jeno had only needed a little time to recover, that was all. He felt normal, he just wished everything else could go back to normal too.

Of course, it couldn't. His parents had set him a curfew, arranged bi-weekly therapy sessions with an actual therapist, and made either Donghyuck or Jaemin report back to them each week. Jeno felt like a five-year-old.

"It's useless," he ranted to Jaemin on a wednesday afternoon. "I'm fine, I don't know what they're so worried about."

Jaemin set down his pencil. "Jeno, it's not that you're not fine," he said, handing his math worksheet to the teacher, "it's the fact that you can't even remember where you went."

Jeno opened his mouth to say something but quickly closed it. How was he supposed to say that there was a magical force physically shutting him up each time he tried?

"I do remember, I just can't... say."

Jaemin rolled his eyes. "If you said that to anybody else, they would only see you as more insane."

Jeno groaned, letting his head fall into his arms on the desk in front of him.

"I'm tired of this, I just wish I had never gone to—" there it was again. The words cutting off just as he was about to speak them.

The bell rang and Jeno looked down at his math sheet. It was blank other than his name written at the top right corner. Not bothering to care anymore, he picked up his stuff and handed the blank page to the teacher as he walked past the door.

On the way to his final class of the day, Jeno spotted Renjun standing by a locker. He couldn't see his face, but Jeno would recognize that silver hair anywhere.

Strange. Renjun hadn't been in class today.

Come to think of it, Renjun hadn't been in class all week.

Cautiously, Jeno walked up to him.

"Hey..." he said, awkwardly.

Renjun, surprised, jumped at Jeno's voice, but only looked at him for a split second before going back to putting his things into his locker.

"What do you want?"

Renjun looked pale— so extremely pale that Jeno could've easily mistaken him for a vampire or some other pale-skinned supernatural creature. Across his left cheek was a cut and Jeno observed similar ones along his neck as well, though smaller.

"What happened to you?" Jeno asked, bringing his hand up to touch the scar on Renjun's cheek.

Renjun stopped Jeno's hand with his wrist. The burning was back. Jeno quickly put his hand down.

"It's none of your business."

"But—" Jeno shut himself up. "At least tell me you're okay."

Renjun sighed. "I thought you promised to leave me alone," he pointed out.

"I know, but can't you just let me care about you for once?" Jeno asked.

"I don't need caring for."

"Just tell me you're okay."

Renjun leaned his back against the locker. "I'll get through it... now leave me alone, for goodness sake."

"Right, okay," Jeno said, turning around and hurrying off towards his next class.

I'll get through it. That certainly wasn't enough to settle Jeno's nerves. Something was definitely wrong.

Thoughts filled with Renjun once again, Jeno walked away. Somewhere in the back of his mind, a voice was telling him not to fall into Renjun's traps again, but he pushed that voice down. At least this one last time he would believe that Renjun was being truthful. Not filled with lies, or rather, twisted words.

From the other end of the corridor, Jeno spotted Renjun slamming his locker door shut and making his way towards an empty classroom with his head down.

It was strange to see the ever-confident fairy in such an unsure stance.

Just as Renjun entered the room, Jeno saw his hand spark with magic before disappearing inside.

Renjun was a fairy. Jeno was sure he would heal faster than average human beings, yet he couldn't settle the uneasy feeling rising within him.

—☆—

"Ready to make up for that movie you missed last week?" Donghyuck asked him enthusiastically on their way back from school.

"Movie?"

Hyuck nodded. "Yeah, remember how we were planning on going to the movies? With Renjun and everything."

Right.

"Oh, uh, yeah. Sorry about that," Jeno said. "We can go this weekend to make up for it?" he suggested.

Donghyuck brightened. "Great! Saturday at the theatre at six," he said before running off along the sidewalk of the road.

Jeno sighed. How in the world was he supposed to get Renjun to the movies? The fairy had made it very clear that he didn't want to speak to Jeno, and now a movie? That was utterly impossible.

He kicked a rock as he passed it, hoping to take out his frustration on some sort of inanimate object. The rock flew a short distance, stumbled, and then rolled until it eventually collapsed in the middle of the sidewalk.

As Jeno walked past the rock, his eyes couldn't help but cast down towards it. It was dark in colour. Dark enough to be considered a shade of obsidian black and shaped in a perfect circle. Across it ran a single white line. It was thin, like string, but it made its way across the surface of the rock from one side to the other.

Something about the rock was intriguing, compelling Jeno to pick it up. Jeno didn't try to resist as there had just been far too much magic going on in his life for him to question it. 

The rock weighed nothing in his hands and felt almost as light as a feather. For a rock, it was very smooth, having not even a single rough edge.

Examining it a final time, Jeno shrugged, pocketed the rock, and continued on his way home. 

---

sooo i dont know the exact number of chapters that are gonna be in this story but i think were halfway there...

apologies for such a late update! school has been hectic (through summatives and transitioning through semesters), i hope you all have been doing okay <3