t w e n t y - t h r e e

It was a shock to Jeno

It was a shock to Jeno. Of course it was a shock to Jeno. It would be awfully worrying if Jeno wasn't shocked at the figure of his smiling classmate before him. Though as of right now, Yangyang's smile was far from what he would call welcoming.

In a way, Jeno's disbelief stemmed from the fact that Yangyang seemed so in place at their school. He was always confident, always approachable, and always popular, since the first day he arrived as a new student.

Just like Renjun was, Jeno thought. 

But it was different somehow. Yangyang wasn't popular the way Renjun was popular. He was popular like the high-school-student-who-was-friends-with-everyone type popular, and he had fit in that way, unlike Renjun, who stood out like gold in a pile of worthless rocks.

Yangyang was hidden at their school, and very well at that. Jeno supposed that there was truth to the statement of plain sight being the best hiding spot.

Yangyang took a tentative step forward as if testing the waters, and Jeno felt Renjun drop his hand and back away towards the base of the dying tree. 

"You know," Yangyang started, "if it were up to me, I would've stripped you of your powers the moment we found out you had stolen the relic," he said. 

Renjun remained silent, and Jeno observed the two of them closely, not sure if there was anything he could do.

The silver-haired fairy scoffed. "Well if it weren't for your impulsiveness, you wouldn't even be here in the human realm with me," Renjun shot back.

Yangyang crossed his arms defensively, "We're far past arguing like little kids, don't you think?" he said, stopping in his place. With a sharp flick of his wrist, Jeno was pulled into Yangyang's grasp. "Give me your magic and you can have your human loverboy back."

Jeno glanced over at Renjun, noticing the way his beautiful features slowly began to morph into an expression of hatred, filled with venom and nothing more. The perfect facade if Jeno couldn't see the way his hands shook slightly behind his back.

"Yangyang, there has to be another way—" Jeno started.

Yangyang glared at him. "That watch, it belongs to me! I'm a time fairy! We're supposed to be the true protectors of that watch! Have you never wondered why your little boyfriend is in the human realm in the first place?" he questioned, startling Jeno with the sudden thought.

One look into Renjun's subtly pleading eyes and Jeno knew something was wrong.

Yangyang rolled his eyes and continued. "He stole a relic! That's why! Dark fairies can be evil too!"