t w e n t y

Jeno felt nothing

Jeno felt nothing. Absolutely nothing. He couldn't hear anything, couldn't see anything, couldn't feel anything for the first several minutes— as if he was numb.

The first thing that came flooding to him was the realization that he was lying on grass. There was a consistent muttering in the distance, though Jeno could understand nothing of what it was saying.

He tapped his fingers lightly on the grass beside him and soon enough, there were footsteps approaching him, closer and closer until his eyes finally drifted open. He looked upwards towards a sky full of stars.

"Jeno what the hell were you thinking?" Renjun's voice boomed from beside him.

Jeno must've jumped half a meter high, startling out of his trance completely. Renjun was right there beside him, holding a blanket in his right hands whilst hurrying over to get the blanket wrapped around Jeno's shoulders. Jeno didn't realize how much he was shivering until the warmth of the blanket engulfed him.

"Renjun? What are you doing here I thought you were—"

"Unconscious?" he interrupted, walking off to a fire that was lit a little farther away from the swamp marsh. "The fairy realm teleported me somewhere else. I got healed and then I ran away." he shrugged, then continued. "Still, are you in your right mind? Everyone knows you never follow those things when you're in a forest. Or ever actually. You could've died!"

"What were those things?" Jeno asked.

Renjun looked at Jeno like he was the dumbest person alive.

"Wisps Jeno! In the fairy realm, they lure lost and wandering souls to bodies of water and, you know..." he trailed off.  

Renjun shoved a wooden bowl of soup into Jeno's hands.

"Eat. It'll help."

Jeno tilted his head in confusion.

"Don't worry, you can eat. It'll be different this time," Renjun replied as if reading his mind. The fairy hesitated, "I care abou—" he cut himself off, "nevermind."

Jeno didn't say anything. Just smiled and pulled the blanket tighter around himself, taking a sip of the soup Renjun had prepared for him. It filled him with an indescribable warmth.

"Anyway," Renjun continued, "some fairies are looking for me, so you might want to leave as soon as possible."

"What? Why?"

Renjun crossed his arms. "I ran away, weren't you listening? You need to go, if they see you with me, you're just as dead as I am."

Jeno shook his head. "Dead?"

"I don't know yet," Renjun replied, still as calm as ever. 

Jeno took another sip of his soup. "I'm not leaving. Donghyuck and Jaemin were lured by two fairies to different places. I don't know where they are and I can't leave without them."