f o u r

"You're a fairy

"You're a fairy."

Renjun nodded.

Jeno shook his head. "That can't be true though."

Renjun just shrugged.

With much argument, the two had ended up at Jeno's house since Renjun insisted that it be a closed space where no one else would be present in order for him to actually be able to explain. Seeing as his parents weren't home right now, Jeno decided his house would be the best spot and Renjun grudgingly agreed.

"Accept it or not, that's up to you, but I've already told you the truth," Renjun answered.

"I just thought you would be smaller," Jeno said, still in slight disbelief, "or brighter at least." Jeno took a quick glance at Renjun's very dark outfit.

Renjun rolled his eyes and took a quick glance out the window. His eyes visibly brightened at the sight of the rain having stopped. Without a word, Renjun began to get up and walk towards the door, partly because of what Jeno had said and partly because he just didn't want to be in the company of others right now.

"No wait! I didn't mean it like that!" Jeno said hurriedly.

Renjun turned around. "I would like to thank you for your hospitality, but I really need to go..." he said, and then went back to walking towards the door.

With one quick motion, Jeno grabbed onto Renjun's wrist. He was met with a burning sensation which quickly caused him to retract his hand. Jeno winced as the burning feeling flooded his entire arm.

"What was that for?" he asked.

"I didn't do it on purpose," Renjun replied matter of factly.

Seeing as Renjun's attention was now turned back on him, Jeno decided to take his chances in getting the other to stay. This might be the only chance he'd ever get to talk to him and Renjun was still the most beautiful being Jeno had ever seen. Jeno wanted to cherish the time right now when he didn't have to admire Renjun from afar.

"Please stay, I promise I'll be nicer with my words."

Renjun sighed but finally obeyed and sat back down on the fluffy couch in Jeno's living room.

"If you don't mind me asking though, why aren't you wearing bright colours? Or like fluttering around in a fairy garden or something?" Jeno asked, trying his best not to come off as rude.

Renjun crossed his arms. "Fairy tales always give off the wrong impressions to kids. You can't automatically associate me with tinkerbell just because I'm a fairy," he stated.

Jeno didn't say anything.

"And as for the bright colours thing," Renjun continued, "I'm a dark fairy."

Jeno's eyes widened and he unconsciously took a small step back. "You're evil?" he blurted out before he could stop himself.

Renjun rolled his eyes. "Why do humans always have the same reactions?" he muttered, more to himself than anything. "I'm a dark fairy, not an evil fairy. There's a very clear difference."

Renjun took one look at Jeno's clueless face and decided once and for all that humans really were stupid.

"I'm not evil, is what I'm saying."

"Okay. That's... good to know," Jeno said, letting himself relax.

Renjun drummed his fingers against the side of the armrest. "It's been nice talking to you, but I really should get going," he said, getting up to walk to the door once again.

Jeno didn't try to stop him this time. When Renjun made it to the door, he remembered to take off Jeno's jacket that was still draped over his back.

Jeno's mouth dropped at the sight of Renjun's wings. They weren't wilted anymore and the colour was even brighter than what he had first seen. Renjun was absolutely stunning.

"Also, just so you know, you probably won't remember any of this in the morning," Renjun said.

Before Jeno could react, Renjun had already turned on his heel and left. Jeno was left staring at the trail of sparkly, blue fairy dust flowing from Renjun's wings.

—☆—

The next morning, Jeno ran to school half an hour earlier than usual. His feet carried him while his thoughts were filled with Renjun. His beautifully sculpted face, his delicate build, silver hair, majestic wings.

Wings. Jeno still remembered.

When he reached the school, Jeno was panting so hard that he had to take several deep breaths in order to recover.

Reaching his classroom, Jeno was fortunate to see Renjun already sitting inside alone, drawing on what seemed to be some sort of sketchbook. Without hesitation, Jeno marched up to the front of his desk.

He was about to tap Renjun's arm when he stopped himself, remembering the burning sensation from yesterday.

"I thought you said I was supposed to forget," Jeno said instead.

Renjun looked up, surprised to see Jeno standing in front of him.

"What are you talking about?" he asked, faking a puzzled expression. Jeno would have fallen for it if it wasn't for the vivid memory of Renjun's wings from yesterday. There was no way that wasn't real.

"You're a fairy," Jeno stated plainly.

Renjun finally decided to lose the confused expression. "You remember?" he asked as if to confirm.

At Jeno's nod, Renjun groaned. "You weren't supposed to."

"Then why did I?" Jeno questioned.

Renjun didn't respond, only went back to drawing in his sketchbook.

"You're not going to do something to make me forget, are you?" Jeno continued, slightly worried about what Renjun's answer was going to be. It was obvious he didn't want to— anyone in his current situation would agree.

He still had so many unanswered questions.

"I can't," Renjun said simply, not bothering to look up from his drawing.

Jeno silently cheered. As far as he knew, he was the only one who knew about Renjun's... secret, which also meant that he was closer to Renjun than anyone else in the school (or so he would assume).

Seeing Jeno's smiling face, Renjun stopped what he was doing to glare at the other boy. "If you dare say a single word to anyone about this, I hope I don't need to remind you that I can still do much more harm than you ever could."

As if to prove his point, Renjun let a few sparks trickle along his fingertips.

Jeno nodded and Renjun gave him somewhat of a contrived smile. As abruptly as their conversation had started, it ended. Renjun turned his focus back to his sketchbook and Jeno slowly walked to his seat.

---

is it just me or has life been feeling very slow lately...?