t w o

"What are you doing?" Jeno asked, walking cautiously into Jaemin's messy room

That was strange– Jaemin was one of the most organized people he knew.

"I'm trying to find my watch. I never even take that thing off, how could I have lost it? I can't find it anywhere!" Jaemin responded, still hurriedly flipping through the piles of clothing on his bed.

"Okay, I think you should just calm down for a second," Jeno suggested, walking over to pull Jaemin's hands away from the pile. "Maybe Hyuck has seen it somewhere."

Jaemin gave a small, hesitant nod. "Right, sorry. I'm not sure what got into me," he said, looking around his now crazily messy room. "This is gonna take a very long time to clean."

Jeno chuckled. "Yeah. Hyuck and I can help you with it after school. We have to get going though, class is about to start," he stated, glancing at the time on his phone.

Jaemin nodded, picking up his school bag and following Jeno out the door.

Not even a few steps past Jaemin's house, Jeno felt a heavy weight jump onto his back.

"What's up, losers," a voice greeted them.

"Hi Hyuck," Jaemin and Jeno replied in sync, not even having to turn around to see who it was.

Donghyuck jumped off his back, walking forward slightly to catch up with them. "How did you know it was me?"

Jeno rolled his eyes. "I'm pretty sure years of being friends should allow us to be able to recognize your voice by now," he answered.

Donghyuck groaned. "You guys are boring."

Jeno ignored the comment.

"Guess what?" Hyuck piped up again after a little while. He didn't wait for a reply before continuing. "Rumour has it our class is going to be given a group assignment today."

Right. Donghyuck was an insider on all things gossip at his school. Never once had he failed to bring Jeno and Jaemin information on anything and everything going on in their grade. Most times it wasn't even their grade. Hyuck managed to sneak info about their entire school sometimes– whether relevant or irrelevant. Jeno didn't know how he did it.

As far as Jeno was concerned though, this piece of info seemed pretty irrelevant.

"And..." Jaemin prompted.

"And this means that at least one person is going to be working with Renjun, you idiots!"

Nevermind. If it was about Renjun, nothing was irrelevant.

"Really?" Jeno asked, sounding slightly unsure.

Donghyuck nodded in response.

Jeno couldn't help but smile at that. There was no doubt about him being excited at the fact that someone would finally be able to work with Renjun, but at the same time, he was skeptical. It had been three days since Renjun first came to their school and though many had tried, to no avail was anyone able to get Renjun to open up to them. He barely even spoke, let alone open up.

So to think that there was finally a chance where someone would be able to work with the mysterious boy gave Jeno a sense of hope.

But of course, that sliver of hope was immediately crushed when the three boys walked into their classroom to see Renjun's desk surrounded by a large handful of their peers, all trying to get his attention.

Right in the center of it all, was Renjun, who had his hands over his ears– likely trying to drown out some of the noise. There were a few slips of paper laid out on his desk, folded notes about wanting to be partners with him, although none of them had been opened up. Renjun had his face buried into the crook of his arms and only his silver coloured hair could be seen.

Jeno didn't even have to look at his face to know he was annoyed, and yet there was still something drawing Jeno to ask Renjun to be partners with him.

"Hyuck maybe we shouldn't–"

But by now, both Jaemin and Donghyuck had already fled from his side.

Jeno sighed, sitting down at his usual spot and settling with admiring Renjun's beauty from afar. Oh how he so badly wanted to join the others in trying to get Renjun's attention...

Self control, Jeno.

From the side of the room, Jeno was vaguely aware of the number of students who walked into the class and immediately flooded to Renjun's side. Looking around the room, only two other people had decided to sit down and not join in on the chaos, likewise to Jeno. Nonetheless, their eyes were consistently focused on Renjun.

It was a strange sight, but Jeno was as much entranced as everyone else to be able to process what was going on.

Renjun stood up from his seat and the chattering around him continued. Renjun looked like he was furious, face red, fists clenched, and there it was again. The bright blue electric sparks that Jeno had seen a few days ago at the cafeteria.

Before he even had time to dismiss it as his mind playing tricks on him again, Renjun spoke.

"Will you all please just shut up? I don't want to work with any of you!" he said raising his voice so loud that it echoed over every other voice in the room. With a quick slam of his fists onto the desk in front of him, Renjun picked up his bag and walked out of the room.

Jeno wasn't sure what had just happened, but he could've sworn that when Renjun slammed his fisk down onto the desk, he had felt a force pushing him backwards. It was like a huge gust of wind that had come out of nowhere.

Judging by the way that the classroom was now engulfed in dead silence, Jeno assumed that everyone else had felt it too.

He ignored the burning sensation to chase after Renjun as the silver haired boy swiftly walked out of the classroom, just as their teacher walked in.

---

school is starting in one week for me and i don't want to go back :'(

i had so much work this summer it felt like my break was busier than my actual school year lmao