f o u r t e e n

"Huang Renjun, please come down to the principal's office

"Huang Renjun, please come down to the principal's office."

The voice rang out from over the speakers and Jeno's eyes followed Renjun as the fairy stood up from his chair, picked up his bag, and walked towards the door. Just as he was about to leave the classroom, Renjun gave Jeno a look, undecipherable as always, but still, Jeno felt something tug at the strings of his heart.

This was his doing. Renjun was going to get in trouble because he sold him out. 

Jeno drummed his fingers on the desk impatiently. As much as he tried to focus on what the teacher was saying at the front of the classroom, his thoughts kept going back to Renjun.

Without thinking any further, Jeno jumped out of his seat and bolted out the door before anyone could say anything. Distantly, he thought he could hear his teacher calling after him. Jeno didn't stop, just continued to jog down the corridors of his school and towards the office on the first floor.

When he reached it, he glanced through the window cautiously. Renjun's small figure was pacing back and forth within the room until the taller figure of his principal motioned the fairy into his office.

Jeno immediately turned away from the window. Something didn't feel right about Renjun being in that office. As much as the boy did take the locket, Jeno couldn't tear away from the idea that Renjun shouldn't get in trouble.

He poked his head up just enough to get a glance through the window again. His principal was speaking, hands moving as though he was explaining something with a stern expression on his face. Renjun sat with his back facing Jeno, completely unmoving, like a statue.

The principal paused and stared at Renjun expectantly as if waiting for a response to a question. The fairy still didn't move.

And then Jeno saw it. From behind his back, Renjun had his fists tightly clenched and sparking with blue electricity.

Jeno almost tumbled backwards.

Thankfully, he was able to balance himself and get up from where he had been spying. He braced himself, pushed open the door, and was met with both pairs of eyes turning to stare at him.

"Mr. Lee it's not what you think!" Jeno rushed over hurriedly. "It wasn't Renjun who stole the locket!"

Mr. Lee raised an eyebrow. "What are you saying, Jeno? You told me yourself that it was, a few days ago."

Jeno sighed. "I know I did," he admitted. "I was just... trying... to put the blame on someone else since I was... the one who took the locket."

The principal gave him a skeptical look. "Is this true, Renjun?" he asked, turning to the fairy.

Renjun can't lie.

"Yes! Yes, it's true, sir you must believe me!" Jeno filled in hurriedly, doing everything he could to direct the attention back to himself.

In a way, it was the truth. Jeno was the one who had first found the locket in the locker room. The only difference was that Jeno had planned on returning it. Renjun, upon taking it from Jeno, had decided to keep it.

The principal sighed. "Jeno, if you really did take the locket, I'm going to have to put in place some consequences," he said. "Renjun, you are dismissed."

Renjun nodded quietly, stood, and then hurried out the door. As soon as the door had clicked shut, the principal motioned for Jeno to sit. 

"Ah, I knew it couldn't be him," the principal said, "that boy is always the sweetest to me."

Jeno almost choked. That was definitely the fairy's charms speaking.

"Alright Jeno, you're a good student. I'm sure you had your reasoning for this, so I'm only going to give you detention. But I will need the locket back," he continued.

Jeno mentally cursed. He hadn't thought this far.

Quickly, he fumbled with his pockets, finding nothing, and then turning to his bag. In the side pocket where he had kept it before Renjun took it was the locket. The circle-shaped pendant hanging from the same thin, silver chain.

Renjun must've slipped it inside before leaving the room.

Reluctantly, he pulled it out and handed it to the principal, who smiled. "Thank you, Jeno. Now your detention will be after class today with Mr. Kim. I hope you will take the responsibility to attend."

Jeno nodded.

"Great, then you may go."

Jeno thanked him and picked up his bag, walking out the door quietly.

Once again, he had fallen into another of Renjun's traps.

—☆—

"Come in, Jeno."

He did, sitting down at a desk three rows away from the front of the classroom.

"You have an hour here before you can leave," Mr. Kim told him.

Jeno nodded in response, taking out some unfinished homework that he could get a head start on. It wasn't like he had ever been in detention before (as this was his first time) but Donghyuck had— many times— and by hearing about it so much, Jeno had concluded that detention wasn't at all scary, only boring.

And so he sat there, bored, and waiting for the time to pass by. The classroom was so quiet that anyone could hear the soft ticking of the clock if they walked past. A few times, Jeno rested his head down between his arms on the desk and felt a rustle of soft wind.

It wasn't until around half an hour into detention when the teacher was already busy with his own work that something happened. One strong rustle of wind, successfully capturing Jeno's attention. He looked around the room, just as a golden-yellow coloured lead landed on the desk in front of him.

Jeno stared at it for several seconds too long before finally picking it up and examining it. One look to make sure the teacher wasn't paying attention to him, and then he flipped the leaf over.

One the smooth side was writing. Strong yet flowy cursive of which sparkled a dark-gray, almost silver colour. 

Thanks.

That was all that was written. 

Jeno looked up at the window on the other side of the classroom.

"Renjun?" he whispered softly to himself more than anyone.

As if to respond, a gust of wind swept over the classroom once again. 

The teacher, who probably felt it too, rubbed his hands together quickly for warmth, yet thankfully, his eyes never left the screen of his computer.

Jeno smiled. Maybe, just maybe, Renjun would wait for him just this once. Though Jeno decided not to get his hopes up.

Maybe not answers, but Jeno had several things he was hoping Renjun could explain.

---

me apologizing for late updates pt 321839199 at this point what even is an update schedule