t w e n t y - t w o

Clockwork

Clockwork. Renjun was gone again.

Somehow, it had happened so much that Jeno was rather unfazed now. The school hallways always seemed to lose a bit of their sparkle when Renjun disappeared. 

Jaemin and Donghyuck had gone back to normal. After Renjun had left him by himself on the swings, Jeno went back to the willow tree to find his two friends talking amongst themselves as if nothing was wrong.

Neither of them had any memory of where they had gone for the past few days.

Absentmindedly, Jeno shut his locker door a little too hard, dropping Jaemin's watch in the process. He yelped and quickly bent down to pick it up, surprised when he saw another hand already there before him.

"Here," a voice said, holding the watch out to him expectantly.

"Yangyang? Thanks," Jeno replied, quickly taking the watch back into his own hands. 

Yangyang smiled. "That's a nice watch. Where did you get it from?" he asked, eyes filled with genuine curiosity.

Jeno paused, slightly taken aback by the sudden question. "It's uh, I'm actually just holding onto it for a friend of mine." It wasn't entirely a lie.

Yangyang nodded. "For Jaemin right? I feel like I've seen that watch before," he mused, looking at it curiously.

"Yeah, yeah for... Jaemin."

The other boy smiled. "Cool," he remarked. "I should probably get to class, I'll see you later, Jeno!"

He nodded, fiddling with the watch between his hands. 

Jeno wasn't sure if he was being paranoid, or if Yangyang's eyes really had stayed on the watch a couple of seconds longer as he walked away, before finally turning around and making his way down the hall.

—☆—

With his head asleep on a textbook in the library, Jeno woke to the sound of a loud rustling in the shelves directly behind him. Still slightly heavy-eyed, he sat up listlessly and glanced around. All the students had left by now, leaving the library near empty, as students rarely ever stayed in the library for this long after class.

He sighed, shutting the textbook in front of him.

That was when he felt a hand grab his own, pulling him up and out of his seat, knocking over his stack of textbooks in the process. 

"Hey what—" Jeno started, very much annoyed.

"Shush. Let's go."

Wait a minute. Something definitely wasn't right. 

"Renjun?"

Jeno lifted their hands. Yes, their hands. The one that Renjun had interlinked with his own.

He could feel him. No electric shocks, just the feeling of Renjun's hand in his. 

The fairy's hand was cold like he had been trapped in the arctic for ages, yet his skin was as soft as silk to his touch. The tenderness was like the light of a thousand stars in the night sky and all Jeno could think of was how much he had longed to feel Renjun's touch, without the pain of the shock it came with.

"How?" Jeno managed to stutter out.

Renjun smiled. To anyone else, the smile would seem mischievous, but Jeno swore it was a smile he could get lost in for hours on end. 

"We need to go," Renjun replied instead, changing the topic with ease. "Do you have the watch?"

Jeno pulled it out from the side pocket of his bag and held it out to Renjun, who only shook his head firmly and pushed it back towards Jeno. "You hold it," he said, and Jeno didn't argue.

Without so much as another glance, Renjun laced their hands together again and pulled them out of the library towards the trails in the willow tree forest. Jeno ran closely behind him, still a little surprised and utterly clueless.

Something felt different. A change, but one so subtle it was barely noticeable, especially since Renjun was leaving Jeno completely in the dark about what was going on. Renjun still spoke his short and to-the-point remarks in his honey-tinted voice. And though his tone remained clear and the same, it was as if something inside the fairy had shifted. A missing puzzle piece filled that made him shine even brighter than before.

And of course, the fact that Renjun's hand was actually holding his own.

Those weren't the only changes though. The willow tree looked as if it was wilting when they arrived. The leaves had turned shades of brown and the branches hung low as if it hadn't had a single drop of water in ages.

"It looks like it's dying," Jeno commented.

"That's because it is," Renjun mumbled quietly from beside him, lifting the branches to let himself in.

Jeno followed hesitantly, pausing to observe the tree for a few seconds more.

"What are we doing here?" he asked, pacing around under the branches of the tree. He ran his fingers along the branches.

"We're waiting," Renjun answered. 

Jeno watched as he took off the necklace that Jeno had given him and slowly moved his fingers along the detailing of the pendant.

"I need you to hold this for me," Renjun continued, passing the pendant to a reluctant Jeno. "It'll only be for a little while but no matter what you do, do not give it to anyone, got it?" he asked, eyes filled with urgency.

Jeno nodded. "Okay."

"Good," Renjun said, before proceeding to sprinkle a circle of fairy dust at the base of the tree.

"Renjun, could I ask you something?" 

The fairy hummed in response, not bothering to look at Jeno before scurrying off to check the outside of the willow tree.

Jeno continued. "Where do you go when you disappear?"

After looking in both directions outside the willow tree, Renjun finally breathed out a deep breath and sat down. "Usually, the fairy realm—"

A rustling of leaves interrupted him mid-sentence, and both boys turned towards the direction of the noise. Jeno vaguely noticed Renjun's body become tense beside him.

A face peeked inside the willow tree first— a very familiar one at that. Said face grinned and locked eyes with Renjun before stepping inside and looking around.

Behind his back, Renjun grabbed Jeno's hand and squeezed it so tightly, Jeno swore he could feel his blood circulation cutting off. 

"Huang Renjun. About time don't you think?" the figure spoke, voice echoing. Jeno's mind flashed back to the first day Renjun had arrived at their school.

"Liu Yangyang," Renjun muttered coldly under his breath. 

Yangyang crossed his arms, this time locking eyes with Jeno, who had since, gone completely still. He wasn't sure who was gripping who's hand tighter anymore. 

"Hi Jeno," Yangyang said, voice dripping with malice. "I think you have something of mine."

---

...

yes...

idk what to say here

i hope you all are doing well?