f i f t e e n

It was pure instinct

It was pure instinct. As soon as the clock ticked to the four o'clock mark and the teacher nodded to signify that he was dismissed, Jeno bolted. Out of the room and straight to the hallway.

Renjun couldn't have gone far, he was sure. If the fairy had enough sense to write him a leaf message saying thanks (Jeno wasn't sure what exactly to call that message), he was sure that the other could find it in him to wait a little bit for Jeno to come out of detention.

Who knows, maybe a change of heart had occurred?

He was hit with an odd sense of deja vu as he ran the hall frantically in search of the fairy. Inside, Jeno prayed that Renjun wouldn't be on the roof. He had no way of getting up there this time.

Jeno searched each corridor thoroughly, but with no luck, he made his way outside for a breath of fresh air. 

He sighed. Renjun was probably on the roof again.

"Looking for someone?"

Jeno yelped and jumped back slightly, surprised at the voice.

Renjun was not the roof. In fact, the voice had come from the fairy, sitting on the bench behind him with a cup of tea floating in front of him.

"Where did you—"

"You looked helpless," Renjun interrupted, looking amused. "I think I've had enough fun watching you run around aimlessly for one day."

There were two things that stole the words from Jeno's mouth, or rather, stopped his mind from being able to think straight. The first was Renjun's wings. He had let them free instead of keeping them hidden. They were a stunning shade of electric blue and though Jeno had seen them before, it had been quite a while, and Renjun's wings were absolutely enchanting to see. 

Secondly, Renjun's scars were gone, completely healed without a single trace left on his face, neck, or arms. Jeno wouldn't have known that anything had been wrong if he hadn't seen them the other day.

"You actually waited," Jeno whispered to himself.

"What?"

Quickly, Jeno shook his head. "Nothing," he said. "You seem fine," Jeno observed out loud.

"When have I not been?" Renjun asked.

"Your scars, I mean."

Renjun played with the cup floating in front of him, spinning it around with a incurious expression on his face. "Oh. Right. Yeah, that was nothing." he shrugged. A long moment of silence passed before Renjun continued speaking. "You got the message, I assume?"

Jeno nodded.

"Great. I'll be going then."

"Already?" Jeno asked, stopping the fairy in his tracks.

"mhm," Renjun nodded.

"Wait—"

Renjun tilted his head in question.

"Uh... my friends and I are going to the movies this Saturday at six and they want you to come," Jeno said, voice tinted with uncertainty.

"You don't want me to come?" Renjun queried.

"What? No that's not what I meant. I'd love for you to be there—"

Renjun only let the corners of his lips turn upwards to form a sly smile before turning and leaving Jeno standing next to the bench alone.

Great. Renjun was back to his old ways which of course, left Jeno feeling as confused as ever.

—☆—

When Friday came around, Renjun seemed to have returned to his normal self. Scars gone, and once again, sitting at the back of the classroom with his sketchbook quietly, or rather, coldly. Today his silver hair seemed to sparkle even more than it had before.

"Did you ask him?"

Jeno looked up to find Donghyuck glancing down at him from in front of his desk, anticipation in his eyes.

"The movies?" Jeno responded. "Yeah, I asked."

"And...? What'd he say?" Donghyuck prompted.

"Well, he didn't give me an actual answer..." Jeno said, trailing off.

"What do you mean? How is that even possible?" Donghyuck asked, sounding just the slightest bit astounded.

Jeno shrugged, turning back around to look at the fairy. Renjun never dared to show his wings at school when there were people around, for obvious reasons, but the image of Renjun's beautiful wings were forever engraved into Jeno's mind.

To anyone else, like Donghyuck for example, Renjun was most likely just another overly good-looking pretty boy, minus the silver hair, which was anything but ordinary.

"Do you think you could try asking again?" Donghyuck asked hesitantly.

Jeno wavered his voice hesitantly. "I really don't know..."

Neither of them got a chance to continue, as at that moment, Renjun had gotten up from his seat and walked towards the front of the classroom where the teacher seemed to be busy marking tests. He muttered something quickly while his hands moved in front of him.

When the teacher nodded, Renjun waited no longer to rush out of the classroom.

"I wonder where he's going..." Donghyuck wondered out loud.

Jeno wondered too.

It was a few moments after that that Jaemin burst through the doorway, right where Renjun had left. "Come see this," he said, pulling both Jeno and Donghyuck up from their seats and dragging them along without giving them a moment to protest.

Jaemin pulled them to his locker, though his locker did not look like his locker. It was trashed, as in everything that was once organized inside of it, thrown all over the ground in front. Some papers looked carelessly thrown, as they were ripped at the corners, or crinkled at the edges. 

Jaemin was organized. There was no way he did this.

"I came to my locker to get my binder, right? And then I walked in on this. I don't know who did it," Jaemin said. He rummaged through the papers on the ground and picked something up. "I had my lock on it too, but now it's... like this."

Jeno took the lock from Jaemin's hands. The shackle was twisted in a weird way, almost bent completely backwards. 

If Jeno looked carefully enough, he could see remains of dust. No human would be able to bend a lock like this, the strength simply was not there. If it wasn't for the excessive knowledge he had on fairies because of Renjun, he could've easily overlooked the dust.

But when it sparkled subtly in the light, Jeno certainly did not fail to recognize it as something else.

---

i handwrote this chapter in like an hour and was shocked by how quickly it all came together. handwriting anything has always helped writers block and i love the feeling of handwriting things, but never has any of my chapters ever come together this quickly