21

The paper wasn't much. A single page of rolled parchment, wrapped with a single strand of ribbon. I dragged my thumb along the edge of the paper, my fingers pinching around one of the ribbon's ends and drawing it. It unfurled. Gentle cursive spread across the cream-colored paper, written in Atlantean and by a hand I could vaguely recognize. 

To her Royal Highness, Daughter of the Sea God, our Lord and King, His Majesty King Poseidon,

By the order and request of the king, you are to make motions to arrive at his palace in a timely manner. He has made to prepare for your arrival as early as possible, and is willing to provide overnight accommodations if they prove necessary. Food will of course be provided and you will have full access not only to your quarters but to all finished room of the palace, including the king's personal chambers. 

There wasn't a signature. Not that I really cared about who Dad had writing his letters, more so that I wanted to know who wrote Dad's letters so I could complain about only being my father's daughter. Not my own person. All I would ever be is his child. 

The seal at the bottom only served to prove that. I'd seen the summons sent out to other people, Tyson had one he carried with him everywhere just in case he had to prove he wasn't evil, and all of them had the couriers seal. A blocky, simplistic design pressed into red wax, compared to the elegant, intricate trident pressed into blue of my father's. The one on the paper was the latter. Another reminder that as a demigod I was an extension of my parent, not a separate person.

"What is it, Percy?" Dick asked, trying to lean over far enough to see it. His chair tilted, and he straightened. It righted with a quiet thud. 

I rolled the scroll. "Nothing. Just-" I paused. "It's a message from my family." 

"They sent a scroll?"

"My family isn't normal. Something that you guys just made worse."

"That's fair."

Metal scraped metal, and Alfred, who decided to come check in and make sure Bruce hadn't killed us with his cooking, glared at Bruce. "Master Bruce, you better not scratch my good skillets." And of course he brought a selection of skillets to use with him.

"Relax, Alfred, I know what I'm doing." Bruce wiped his hand on his pale pink apron. Across the front, black letters declared him the world's most beautiful cook. I really hoped that was a gag gift. "Why'd they send the thing? And how'd they know where we are in the first place? I didn't think anyone managed to trail us here."

"No one did. They just have the annoying ability to know where I am at a given time. I mean, look at my cousin. Minute I'm living at your place he shows up with a delivery, and this isn't where he normally runs his route." I sighed. "And as for why, well, I'm just going to hope they aren't going to try to murder me. Again."

"I'm going to assume that's a joke."

"You'd be assuming wrong, Bruce." I waved my fork in the air before sticking the piece of pancake in my mouth. "Being a bastard child born out of an affair doesn't earn me any favors, and it just paints a huge target on my back." One that got bigger and bigger with each year and each monster I took down. I stood. "I should probably head out before they think I'm not coming. One lecture is enough." Hope Dad didn't mind a sweatshirt and jeans, and if he did, well, that wasn't my problem.

"Wait, wait. Hold- Percy!"

"Bye! See you guys later, you know, if I'm not dead," I said. I darted out the door and down to the waves. With a quick look around to verify no one had followed me and that there were no mortals around to freak out when they thought I had drowned, I walked into the waves. Cool water washed around me, and sand and rocks pressed against my bare feet. The drop-off left me floating mid-water. But that soon ended as I gather enough control to rocket myself through the water, weaving in and out of currents as it suited my needs. Schools of fish scattered and reformed, at one point a couple dolphins joined in.