33

When I opened my eyes, I was not expecting to. I was, but more that I expected to wake on the shores of the Styx, dropped there by Hermes than to be staring blankly up at ceiling of the Cave. I blinked. The scenery did not change. 

"My son?" A gentle hand rested on my forehead. My eyes flickered to the worried face of my king. Slowly, I sat up. The numbness, how could it be worse than that exercise? It was a dumb question, for I knew the reasons. Reasons that had me reaching for my king and hugging him. I sobbed against his chest. "Hush now, you are safe. Whatever you saw, it was not real."

It did not make it any better, any less horrifying. Everyone ripped to shreds, bloody floors, burning flesh. All of it played back against my senses. And I could do nothing of it. I leaned further against my king until he was near wholly supporting my weight. He is safe. He is okay. His warmth wrapped around me, and he tightened his arms. Was it shameful for me to cling to him as I was? Yes, my mind echoed, but every instinct said no. A single hand rubbed against my back, and the king's deep voice rumbled with Atlantean. 

"How- How did we arrive here?" I asked, peeking out from the embrace. 

"Robin's computer has a tracker," said Batman. A gloved hand carded through Robin's hair. The odd sign of affection hammered home the severity of the entire situation. "You were out for a few hours. Manhunter attempted to pull you free, but when Miss Martian slipped into a coma, it was too much to risk. It was one thing when it was a controlled exercise going wrong, and another when in the field. We're only lucky they didn't attempt to kidnap you."

My attention wavered, and I returned to my dull state of existence. "Why--" My mouth was dry. "--am I the only one who has awoken?"

"You're not," said Bluejay. My heart stilled, memories of her pressed against me in a tight hug quickly being shoved out of mind. Cloth rustled. "Fucking- I-I-I need so much ice cream." 

"Jay." Wonder Woman's voice was soft.

"Don't touch me." Her boots hit the ground. She stalked away, down the hallway. I shuddered. 

Try as I might I could not fight the bile rising in my throat. I shoved away from my king, holding my hand over my mouth. Canary shoved a trashcan under my chin moments before the vomit spilled out of my lips. Acid filled my mouth and seared my nose, and try as I might to compose myself, seconds latter I hunched over it again. My fingers pressed hard into the plastic as tears dribbled down my face. Pathetic. 

"Here." My king pressed a water bottle to my lips, I took a sip before swishing and spitting into the bucket. Once again the hard edge pressed against my mouth. "Drink, Kaldur. You will dehydrate." I gulped down the cool water, eyes fluttering shut at the relief it offered. The burning abated, and though the bitter taste remained, it was muted. A cool hand pressed to my forehead. 

Rubber soles squeaked against the floor. "I'm going home."

"Jay-"

"I want to go home." She sounded on the precipice of tears. "Just let me go home, I- I need to go home." 

"If you need--" The Zeta-Tube called out Bluejay's authorization before Wonder Woman could finish. "She's avoiding."

"I cannot blame her," I said with a hysterical chuckle. "Not after this." 

"What happened, Kaldur?" asked Canary. My stomach clenched, and on reflex I leaned over the bucket. I gagged, and the little water I drank came back up, pattering against plastic. My heart rapidly hammered on my ribs, I had a hummingbird trapped in my ribcage. My entire body shook with tremors. I wanted nothing more than to lay on the cold, hard floor.