9

"Stay here," Bruce said. "I don't want to worry about you ontop of worrying about Dick." He stood outside my door, dressed in sweats and a tank top.

I nodded and yawned. "Not like I was planning on doing anything other than sleep for the next nonth. I'm beat. "Night, Bruce."

"Goodnight. Alfred is right down the hall if you need help with anything."

"Got it, stay safe." Even if the words were ironic coming from me, I didn't take them back. I closed my door and waited until his footsteps faded away to lock it. Walking over to the bed, I shoved my hands between mattress and box spring before lifting. My suit laid where I left it. I pulled it. The mattress crashed down with a creak of the springs.

I stripped from my pajamas. Another yawn escaped my lips as I slipped into the pants and another as I fastened the clasps on the shirt. I groaned and cursed as I struggled to pull the cape over my head. Why was it like a shirt instead of having a clasp? If this thing gets caught I could die. After I got it on, I pulled on my boots and gloves. Fastening the belt around my waist, I sighed.

"Now, what are we going to do tonight?" I asked myself, firing up my computer. Almost immediately an alert popped up on the holographic screen. I tapped it. Footage from the Gotham City Museum appeared, showing robbers breaking open display cases. "Well, I don't think people like having their priceless artifacts stolen. Time to kick some robbers' butts." Gods, I hope these don't turn out to be some Hermes kids, though who even sends artifacts to Gotham? It makes no sense, but neither does me not wanting to be a hero and immediately turning around and becoming a hero again. I put on my mask. I swore I heard a voice in my head, saying that this was dangerous. I ignored it. I've been through hell so it was invalid.

Taking a deep breath, I put my mask on and focused. The Gotham City Museum technically housed three different museums: art, history, and natural history. I didn't know which part I ended up in, since I appeared in the rafters and not on the show floor. Thank you whatever survival instincts I have for letting that happen. If I had appeared on the ground, no doubt I would've been shot by the two men on lookout. I glanced at the security footage on the computer, noting the three other people committing the actual robbery.

One against five might not have seemed like the best odds, but my odds only made it worse. Luckily for me, I have powers and a utility belt filled with gods-know-what. My fingers fumbled with the buttons and straps holding the different pouches closed. One had smoke bombs, another had a small grappling hook and extra line. There were collapsible weapons like escrima sticks in one sections around the back. My eyes locked onto the small discs in one of the final pockets. Birdarangs.

After a minute of messing around with the settings in the computer, I decided yo test out how good I was at exploding frisbee. Hopefully the answer would be better than I am at archery.

I threw two of them towards the watchmen, wincing at the noise. How is Dick not deaf? They slumped to the ground.

"Hurry up!" The voice echoed from the next room over. I crawled my way across the rafters, making a mental note to ask why any place in Gotjam would have this many places to hide and get around.

"I am hurrying, idiot! Go see what that noise was, and if those two are fighting shot one in the foot."

A woman shouldered through the door, face hidden by a bunny mask. Her gun held at the ready, she kicked one of her buddies on the floor. "Playing dead isn't going to get you- I think Batman's here!'

A loud cackle burst from my throat and I leapt. Foot connecting with the back of her head, I landed on the ground wrong. I gritted my teeth at the shock traveling up my body.

"Let us- Who the hell are you?!" The leader, a burly man wearing another bunny mask, aimed his gun at me.

"Bluejay, and you are?" I asked, lips twisting into a smirk.

"Batman has two sidekicks now? This so isn't fair, boss." A spindly woman tapped a crowbar against her gloved hand.

"Okay, for one, I don't work for Bats. Two, you didn't answer my question and you're being awfully rude about it."

The man, who I still didn't know the name of, raised his gun so the muzzle now pointed straight at my head. At this distance my odds of dodging were low. "You're gonna to let us walk out of here or else they're gonna find a wannabe sidekick with their brains blowed out."

I sighed, guess we're playing that type of game. Faster than the man could react, I grabbed the barrel of the gun, forced it up, and spun towards him. My elbow struck pressure points in his arm, forcing him to drop his gun. I needed to thank Will for teaching me that one. Even though most demigods don't use guns, the Mist refuses to hide them and retrieving bullets is a pain, he still thought it would be a good idea to teach us how to disarm people.

Not to be confused with the time he taught us how to cut off people's arms.

I knocked the scymbag out with his own gun and emptied the ammo. The woman almost rushed at me, but when a roaring engine cut suddenly she ran. I rolled my eyes and hurled the gun at her head. The moment it connected with her head, the doors slammed open, revealing Bruce and Dick.

"Who are you?" Dick asked, settling into a fighting stance. I smiled.

"Boy Wonder, Dark Knight. The name's Bluejay. If you excuse me, this bird's gotta fly." I threw down a smoke bomb and took the chance to rush away, too tired to vapor travel. Boots hit on the marble behind me until I scattered more smoke bombs and found myself an exit. I ran away in a random direction until I doubled back and hid in an alley. Half an hour later and I felt good enough to vapor travel home. I stripped out of the suit, hid it, crawled into bed, and put on pajamas. Not necessarily in that order.

A loud groan left my lips before I started drifting into the hellscape of my mind.

Originally published: Jan. 13, 2019

1009

Edited: May 29, 2020

1122

I have a hammock. Yay!

See yah