37

Sunlight glimmered on the ridges of ripples. A fountain gurgled water up and over a smooth stone rim. Small goldfish darted about under the surface, and occasionally took refuge under the leaves of a water lily. My fingers glided over the pond, and with that motion came the softest of presses against my mind. Worry kept me in its hold, even when the goldfish came to nibble at my fingertips. 

"I'm fine," I mumbled to the pond. "I've had worse."

 Dad's presence strengthened, whipping the fish into a frenzy. I tried to calm them, told them he wasn't really here, but they didn't listen.  Scowling, I tried to pull my hand away. He didn't need to worry, because I hadn't lied. 

The injury looked bad, I'd give him that, but having half of my shirt ripped and dangling caused most of the issues. And it could've been a lot worse! I could've been missing half of my torso. It wasn't like the monster hadn't tried. Had it actually been able to use the weapon instead of lumbering around like a drunken horse, I'd be in a lot worse of shape than having a small scratch still oozing blood. 

Well, small wasn't the right word, thin worked better. Running from my left collar bone down to my opposite hip, it was no deeper or thicker than a cat scratch. Despite that, and despite it being a small harmless thing, the amount of blood smeared across my skin made things look a hundred times worse. I'd sat down here, where hedges obscured me from the Manor for that reason alone.

Maybe hunting monsters wasn't the best way to get my mind off things when I lived with other people. I should've went to Diana's, at least she wouldn't force me into therapy if she found out what I was doing. She knows what it's like. She wouldn't judge. 

I sighed, stopped resisting, and let my hand sink into the water. The pressure at the back of my mind disappeared, Dad's attention gone as my injury washed away. I made a small sound in the front of my throat.

"Thanks, Dad," I said. Water ran in rivulets down my skin once I pulled my hand out. I stood up and walked up the long hill. The Manor stood tall and proud, a few trees scattered around the perimeter. One luckily led up to my window, and as soon as I'd figured that out, it became my go to for leaving onto the grounds. Or getting back into my room when I wanted to avoid everyone. And as much as company could be nice, I did not want to explain what happened to my shirt. 

My arms burned as I hauled myself up the tree, muscles twinging and complaining. I gritted my teeth and continued up. If I couldn't climb this tree, then I'd have a rude awakening when I went back to Camp. The thought--It nearly made me lose my grip. Bile which I'd long thought gone, rose up again. I didn't know if Bruce would let me go back. I didn't know if he'd be comfortable sending me to a place he can't check out, a place that he can't make sure is safe for me. 

And he'd end up keeping me here in a bid to keep me safe, only to put me in more danger. 

I scrambled through my window, walked to my dresser, and grabbed a shirt. I'd have to ask him at some point, but that would put Diana in danger because if they find out she's- If Bruce finds out she hasn't told him about a place that trains warriors that are beyond human, he won't trust her, might kick her out of the League. I exhaled. If it came down to it, I could do my plan from before: run away and never let them find me. 

The thought, meant to be reassuring, left a bitter taste in my mouth. 

With a sigh and doubts lurking in my mind, I walked out of my room and down the stairs. Being alone would only lead me towards another panic attack, another flashback. I was too tired for that. Instead, I found Bruce. He sat on the red sofa, the one directly in front of the TV in the living room. Papers crinkled as he leafed through them, followed with the scritch of a pen almost out of ink. He didn't look up at me when I walked in. He didn't look at me when I sat beside him.

He looked at me when I curled against him.

"Percy?" he asked. Blue eyes scanned over me, burning with some deep desire to know. I flinched and looked away. "Percy." This time he said it softer, just above a whisper and filled with concern. 

"Can I sit here? Please?"

"What's wrong?"

I swallowed and crossed my arms over my body. "I- I don't want to talk about it, Bruce." Each second he sat staring at me was another my breath caught in my chest. His gaze even felt like Annabeth's, all intense scrutiny and burning drive to solve it. He moved his arm and draped it around me. 

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"That's what I said."

Mumbling my thanks, I closed my eyes. The steady thump of his heart echoed throughout my entire being, A constant to focus on, and one that combined with my exhaustion and sent me careening towards sleep. Darkness stretched out in all directions, a blank void of emptiness, and I embraced the dreamless state. 

If only it could've lasted. 

"Percy." Someone shook me. I didn't react, trying to cling to my rest. The person--was that Bruce-- repeated my name and shook me again. I groaned and peered up at Bruce through bleary eyes. 

"What?"

"You were talking in your sleep."

"Oh." I sighed and closed my eyes again. "I should probably go talk to my dad sometime." For some reason, the thought of him taking Bruce's place sent warmth through me. He might let me do it: just doze against him as he works on sea god stuff.  I was almost too lost in my want to notice the way Bruce's brow creased and how he pressed his lips together. 

"Why doesn't he have custody of you?" he asked. 

My mouth twitched. "He's not allowed. The same reason he couldn't stick around when I was born." I curled my hands, nails digging into my palms. Bruce's arm tightened around me. "He's nice, so don't worry about that. His hugs are really nice." Wistfulness filled my voice, only to vanish with my next words. "It's just... I wasn't supposed to be born, and he admits that. I'm nothing more than a mistake."

"You know parents aren't supposed to say that."

"He tries," I said. "That's all I can ask. It's more than I should ask, more than I deserve, and definitely more than I have any right to." I stood up and wobbled a bit as my vision faded to black. Once I was steady, I shoved my hands in my pockets. "Do you care if I invite a friend or two over?"

"Percy, that's not something you-"

"I think having friend over is something I should do."

"You know that's not what I was talking about." Bruce ran a hand through his hair. 

"But that's what I'll assume you're talking about."

He tilted his head back and sighed. "One friend. That's it." 

Hope you enjoyed the chapter

Now if you excuse me, it is time to brave the cold

Remember to vote and comment (give me serotonin please)

See yah