19

My blankets pooled around me and I scrubbed at my eyes. Sleep was eluding me, and I couldn't decide if that was a good thing or not. Even after weighing the pros and cons, I couldn't. A low, soft groan broke the air, then my feet touched the floor. I debated leaving a note before I left, but ultimately decided against it. If I decided to come back, I should be back in my room before they get back. 

My feet were silent on the stairs, and I slipped out the front door. Cool sand slipped between my toes with every step. I walked and walked, doing the exact same thing I did before: choosing to lose myself to the monotony of the waves hitting the shore. The only difference was this time I let my powers run loose. Not the best choice in hindsight. Waves which were only rolling onto the beach started crashing down on the sand; the gentle breeze whipped into a frenzy. Yeah, definitely not a good idea.

I kicked the sand, wondering what in the world I did to deserve what the Fates threw at me. The answer? Nothing. I didn't do anything except be born, but that seemed more than enough reason to make my life, and everyone around me, miserable. Huh, I guess it would be better for me to disappear. No one else would be in danger.

Dick would be safe. Bruce and Alfred would be safe. Wally would be safe.

And Kaldur- My face heated at the thought of him. -he'd be safe too.

I kicked myself, ramming my foot into my calf. No, I can't get close, and I can't let anyone get close. They'll only get hurt. They'll get hurt and it'll be all my fault.

Slowly, as if being lowered from wires, I collapsed on the sand. "I- I can't." I was crying, but I tried to ignore it. Crying would mean I'm feeling remorse for what I'm going to do. This isn't something I should regret. I'm keeping my family and their friends safe.

As much as I wanted to vapor travel to the other side of the country, I didn't have enough energy to. If I tried, I could end up scattered as mist forever and I really didn't want to find out how that would feel. So I got my feet below me, picked myself up, and I started walking. The more distance I can put between me and the cabin, the harder it'll be for them to find me, and once I'm far enough away it should be safe enough to call Mrs O'Leary.

"May I ask what you are doing out here so late?"

Every muscle in my body tensed. Damn it. "It's none of your business." Here I am trying to keep him safe by leaving, and he has to show up and ruin it. "But since I have a feeling you're going to keep bugging me, I couldn't sleep." I started walking again.

"Do you mind if I accompany you?"

"Yeah, I kinda do." 

"If I may," he said. His longer strides easily matched my hurried ones. "why have you been avoiding me?"

"I have my reasons."

"Such as?"

I growled, stopped dead in my tracks, and looked at him. The moonlight framed him well, highlighting his cheekbones and- Holy fuck, why is it this cold? Shivering, any and all traitorous thoughts flew out of my mind. Only for them to come flooding back when Kaldur unzipped his jacket and draped it over my shoulders. "Uh, thanks. I guess." I looked at him, and even though I've seen them before, my eyes locked onto his gills.

"What is-" Kaldur broke off, hand flying to cover the side of his neck.

"Can I see them?" I asked.

His eyes met mine, his pupils reflecting the light of the moon. "Are you certain? I am aware that many surface dwellers find them disturbing."

I shook my head. "They're really cool. I mean, it's not like you have the back half of spider or anything. Uh, you don't do you?"He laughed and shook his head. His hand fell back to his side. I stepped closer and leaned up to get a better view. "Do you care if-"