17

Kaldur shifted me in his grip. "Please try to get more sleep."

"No."

"I have an idea," Wally said. Dick laughed, said 'The world is ending', and got whacked in the face with a pillow. "Shut up, Dick."

"Kaldur, Wally called me a bad name."

"Oh shut up." Wally's hand clamped over Dick's mouth. "She didn't want to let go of you when she was asleep, right? So what if one of us laid down with her? I mean, she knows we're superheroes."

Honestly, I couldn't make up my mind on if I wanted to murder him now or later. On one hand, killing him now would get me out of this situation. On the other, I had the feeling the others wouldn't be helping me hide a dead body anytime soon. I sighed, only barely paying attention as the Kaldur, Dick, and Wally played rock, paper, scissors to figure out who I'd have to share my cozy little blanket nest with. 

"I'm fine, guys," I said to no avail. The competition continued. "Guys!"

"You need to sleep, Percy," Dick said, though I was tempted to give him Will's title of Mother Hen. He laughed. "Well, have fun sleeping on the floor, Kaldur. I'm going to enjoy the nice comfy couch."

I groaned. "How many times do I have to say this? I'll be fine. It's not like I haven't fallen back asleep after a nightmare before." I have, it just...happens rarely

Kaldur loosened his arms, but left them looped around me. "If you do not wish for me to, I can sleep on the couch-" "I already called the couch!" "-but I do not mind it if me sleeping next to you would make you more comfortable." 

My teeth clicked together as the options were weighed. On one hand, it would be extremely embarrassing and I don't trust Dick and Wally to not take a picture for totally legal not at all blackmailing purposes. Why couldn't he just guilt trip me or something?

Softly, I sighed. Limbs curled and twisted until my body barely touched his. "It- It'll be fine," I said. Busy cussing myself out mentally, I almost missed the feeling washing over the room. I snorted and rolled my eyes. Overprotective gods. To my surprise, Kaldur's muscles tensed, curling his arms tighter around me. His eyes flickered open, and he glanced around the room, nervousness fueling every small movement. He looked at me, dropped his arms, and moved back so we were no longer sharing the same space. I should've found the added space reassuring. Less chance of me strangling him in my sleep and all, but... What would happen when I fell asleep would be so much worse.

"Hey, Kaldur?"

He didn't respond, and I'd almost thought he'd fallen asleep until he shifted. "Yes?"

"Uh, can I- Do you care if I hold onto you or your jacket or something?" Fire fanned my cheeks. "Usually if I hold- Never mind." I shifted backward. Soft blankets provided pressure against my back, but they did nothing to ease my embarrassment. He's not Annabeth. She had a reason to let me sleep next to her, he doesn't. Swallowing, I opened my mouth to apologize, but he reached forward and pulled me towards him.

He didn't say anything, even trying his best to make how we were laying less awkward, though I don't really think that's possible– laying on the floor in a blanket nest is probably one of the most awkward ways to share a sleeping space. At least with a bed you can build a pillow wall.

And then proceed to smack someone across the face in spite of there being that pillow wall. 

I sighed and curled against Kaldur, body tucked up against his chest. Once again his arm found itself over me. He pulled a blanket over me, before rolling onto his back. I huffed, struggling to get comfortable again. 

"You are safe here, the three of us will not allow anyone to harm you," Kaldur said. Apparently he was misreading my movements or something, because out of everything, that was the thing I was the least concerned about. Not one of them could keep monsters from hurting me, and none of them would be able to stop the monsters from hurting them. Loyalty to the ones I care about seems like a better fatal flaw than hubris or grudges or longing for power, but it's so much worse. But it's not better when it makes each and every injury and death you could've prevented feel like someone's twisting a knife buried up to the hilt in your gut. Tears pricked at my eyes, slowly rolling down my cheeks. As much as I didn't want to show weakness, there wasn't a reason to here. My mom's dead, my step-dad's dead, that means I'm allowed to cry-- Right?

The soft fabric of his jacket rubbed against my hands. Kaldur and Wally are important to Dick, and Dick's already lost enough people. He doesn't need me adding to that number. He doesn't deserve me adding to it. That means- I have to stay away. Whether that means emotionally or physically, hopefully both, only time will tell, but I am not letting anyone else my family cares about get hurt. Not again.

Darkness enshrouded the room with the simple flick of a switch. Feet stumbled and Wally shouted out a curse. "Sorry, Kaldur."

Kaldur only chuckled. "I believe you should be apologizing to Dick, he is the youngest of us. Goodnight, my friends."

"Night." The chorus went around. Kaldur's breathing even off, and soon even Wally and Dick's bickering silenced. The only thing left was the waves. Surrounded by their muted noise and the faint heat radiating from Kaldur, I drifted off.

I wished I hadn't.

And this is actually shorter but don't worry I actually have things that are getting done with other things, I'm just tired and have a quiz tomorrow.

er, today

See yah