38

"You know, when I asked Bruce if I could have a friend over, that didn't mean, show up unannounced," I said, moving stuff off my bed. "Why'd you even come in the first place? We're not exactly what you'd call friends."

"Friends, no." Triton shifted. "But we're siblings, which unfortunately means Dad can make me babysit you." He plopped onto my mattress, making a pile of clothes fall off. Triton eyed the teal and gray jacket. "Be glad our father thinks of you as a little kid. Or worried. It would be more embarrassing to have the talk as a forty year old." 

"Why did you even have to bring that up?"

"If I'm not allowed to kill you, I am content to settle for being unsettling and annoying." 

"Well, don't."

"I'll consider it for the time being." He waved his hands before spreading them. A shell charm dangled from a bracelet. I couldn't react as something pushed me closer to Triton. Triton wrapped me in his arms, held me tight, before pushing me away. "I was supposed to deliver that to you."

"In the span of time it took for me to tell Bruce I was inviting a friend to getting back here, you managed--"

"Dad managed to rope me into this half baked plan? Yes. Granted I would have been here sooner, but I had to work out my side of the bargain." His eyes moved about the room again, locking onto the bookshelf before sliding to my bedside drawer. Swallowing, I moved to block his view. Two reasons existed why I didn't want him snooping there, and the disorganized medical supplies were the lesser of the two. If he's reporting back to Dad, I really couldn't have him check it out. "Moving in front of something isn't a good way to get me to not look at it."

I swallowed and crossed my arms. "Well, I'm sorry for not wanting an unwelcome guest getting a little too curious." Triton stood, walked over, and looked down at me. He said nothing. "What?"

"You're hiding something," he said with a sigh. "But I know better than to press you on it. We've all got a touch of stubbornness in us." A grin lit his face, and the glow from his eyes didn't help that either. He looked at the door. "I wonder how much havoc I could bring simply by speaking a little too loudly."

"You're an ass," I hissed. The longer he stayed, and the more he spoke, the more his presence began to grate on my nerves. It started slow, as most things did, with the washing of water over stone, eroding away at my patience. He frowned and patted my cheek. I glared at him. 

"I could very much say the same about you." A bright glow surrounded his hands before a watch appeared in it. Dangling it from one leather strap, Triton raised an eyebrow. "Would you like this?"

"That's--"

The watch face shone in the light as it tumble through the air. With a sharp yelp, I scrambled to catch it. Looking at it, it was exactly what I thought. I didn't know how Triton had it, when he'd found it, but I was thankful all the same. 

"Tyson mentioned you lost that, what, a couple years ago?" Triton said as he shoved his hands in his pockets. "He was going to make you a new one, but I wanted him to work on something for me, so don't think too much into this." He looked at the wall, but his eyes flicked back to me. Something had the corners of his lips twitching. 

Did he curse it?

Swallowing down the lump in my throat, I placed the watch on my nightstand, making sure the face was up. "Thanks." 

"Like I said, don't think too much into it."

Silence. 

A long, long silence stretched between us, before Triton put his hand on my shoulder and pulled me into another hug. Warmth wrapped around me, as did the familiar sea scent I usually associated with Dad. Triton's was a bit different, more muddled. His pointy chin rested against my head. 

"Am I not supposed to-- Ow!"

"Don't ruin this."

"You're the one who hit me."

"You're the one who almost fell off a building. Do you know how much of a heart attack you gave people? Dad isn't exactly fun to be around when he's upset, and your demise falls into the category of 'things that would make him upset.' Be glad you were lucky enough to have me show up and not him." Triton released me and stepped back. "He's not too happy with the whole vigilante thing, all in all."

"He sent me to the base."

Triton waggled his finger. "Actions and words do not always line up with beliefs and thoughts. He had his reasons for not having you come live with us, and our uncle was fully prepared to let you."

I knew there were reasons. I read the note. And yet---And yet a hard pit settled in my stomach. He didn't want you, a voice hissed. It was my own, echoing through the dark recesses of my mind. Swallowing, I forced it aside by thinking about the curtains. They were a pretty color.

"He doesn't get to dictate my life just because of what I am." I ran my hand through my hair. The words were a lie. Gods controlled demigods, used us like pawns in a chess match, and when one of us made it across the board we'd become one.

Except me. 

Maybe I should've accepted that offer. That thought joined the earlier one on the trash heap. It would certainly be something to explain in therapy if I had a mental breakdown and started talking about 'accepting immortality'. I didn't need that stress or the questions.

 I glanced at Triton, waiting for him to leave. He dragged his fingers along my blankets while kicking his legs through the air. Why hasn't he left yet? He did what he came here to do. The gleaming watch and the lingering pressure from the hug was proof enough. I asked him why he didn't leave. He didn't answer. Huffing out a sigh, I pulled out a dresser drawer and started putting clothes away. If he was going to sit there, I was going to make it as boring and uncomfortable for him as possible.

Ten minutes later, my phone rang. With a frown, I snatched it and stared at the caller ID. 

"How does Hades have phone service?"

Of course, that's when Triton vanished. 

I am alive *mad doctor laughter* 

But am i alive inside you may ask, and I have no idea

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the chapter and remember to vote/comment/pat an animal on the head (or me, I will accept headpats)

It is 10 pm and I am sleep deprived, I am going to hope this chapter makes sense

See yah