34

Shadows glared at me, mocking me as I stared at the wall. The arm around my waist was warm and tight, holding me close to Kaldur's chest. His heart beat soundly against my back, a steady beat accompanied by the soft breathing fanning over my head. I blinked and sighed, wishing my own would settle. Maybe without his arm holding me, it could've, but that wasn't the only thing fueling my anxiety. Full nights of sleep were forever out of my grasp, locked up with things like standardized womens' clothing and good food in public school. I couldn't get back to sleep, and I couldn't go out as Bluejay, not with Kaldur here. 

I had too much time to get caught in my own thoughts. 

A restless torrent that drew me deeper and deeper until my nails dug into my skin. I slipped out from Kaldur's arm and sat up. Hands, pale in the night's light, sat in front of me. Slender fingers curled. Blankets slid behind me, rasping. I didn't react when the bed jolted, when Kaldur sat up. 

"Percy?"

"Couldn't sleep." 

"Ah," he said. His eyes flashed, reflecting the light from my alarm clock. I returned my gaze to the wall as he took my hand. And I didn't look at him or say anything when the pads of his fingers pressed against my wrist. When he sighed and kissed my knuckles, I couldn't help but laugh. 

"I'm talking to you."

"I-I am aware." 

"You shouldn't have had to check."

Kaldur wrapped an arm around my shoulders and pulled me close to his side. "I checked the others," he muttered low under his breath. "The logical part of me knew they were alive, that we were all safe, but sometimes, I have the urge to make sure. I--" He cut off. "Can I move you onto my lap?"

"Uh, yeah." 

With a simple move, he pulled me onto his lap; my arms looped over his shoulders. A hum rumbled through his chest, and I cooed. All it earned me, a kiss to the forehead. Warmth spread through me. Content and wanting to fall back into the embrace of sleep, I curled against his chest, head under his chin. He's safe. He's alive. The heartbeat under my palm told me that much. 

Maybe it was stupid of me to focus on that. On something I knew. But it was far better than wondering about the unknown. Gods forbid my mind pick back up on the train of thought I just bailed off of. 

"You really didn't have to ask," I said. I wouldn't have minded if he hadn't. My death inside of it had been bloody, I could only assume his was the same. So if he wanted to hold me close, I wasn't going to say anything about this. Even if it wasn't. I wouldn't, if only because I wanted to be sure he was safe. 

"I did not want to do it if you would mind it, starfish." He carded his fingers through my hair. I blinked and pressed myself closer to him. His solid frame offered no give. "Is that one better?"

"Mhm." 

Our breathing became the only noise. Kaldur shifted, leaning to the nightstand to grab the bottle of water I kept there. Opening it, he coaxed the water out. A soft glow, more subdued than normal, emanated from the liquid, matching the one from his tattoos. There was a sort of wonder in watching him control it in gentle swirls. Even if I could do it myself--

The door cracked open, and light spilled into my room. In the doorway, lurking like Nico, was a small shadow.

"Can I- Can I sleep in here?" asked Dick. A blanket swept across the floor as he took a hesitant step in. Without waiting for an answer, or taking my lack of rebuttal as one, he crawled into my bed, wrapping his arms around me. I looked up at Kaldur; he released me and moved back. He kissed my cheek, much against Dick's wishes. "No kissing my cousin."