24

Shadows draped the ground, a reminder of the near constant gloom cast over the skies of Gotham. As I walked along the streets, tension crept up my spine. There was not a thing I could do to help it. I had dressed for the city, wearing sneakers instead of sandals and keeping a knife in my pocket, but it did not change that things that had happened in this city. The fact Batman does not like having heroes with powers in the city certainly did not help matters.  But it was my turn to get food, and Dick's choice was the one that won out in the end. Why he did not choose something in-

A yelp interrupted my thoughts. "Watch it would- Oh, uh, hi," said Percy. She blinked up at me with murky green eyes. "Kaldur, right?" Liquid dripped off the side of her cup, joining the pool on the sidewalk below. 

"Yes." I reached into my pocket, hand hitting metal instead of anything that could be useful in this situation.  "Are you alright?" 

"Hm? Oh, my drink? Yeah, none of it got on me." Maybe it was the way she said it that made it sound like she was attempting to convince me. Maybe it was because she was. "It's not the first time someone's ever run into me, you know."

There is something wrong with this, something she is not telling me. Nevertheless, I hummed. "What are you doing out here?"

"I live here, Kaldur. Figured I might as well figure out where things are, make it easier to tell Bruce where to send Bats if I get kidnapped and all that. What about you?"

"Picking up food for dinner. Do, uh, do you mind walking with me?" Something about her intrigued me. Electricity seemed to burn through my veins when I was around her, and I was certain it was not anything Wally may suggest. "I am not sure where this restaurant is," I admitted as explanation.

Percy blinked. Before I said a word, she drained the contents of her cup and tossed it in a garbage can. "Sure." She started walking, and I fell into step beside her.

"Thank you. Do you need to-"

"I'm guessing it's the one Dick's been bugging Bruce to order for the last couple days. Geno's or something, right?"

"I believe so."

Percy grinned and as we came near a puddle laying in part of the destroyed crosswalk, she jumped in it. Water splashed up. "Splash." She laughed to herself as she hopped onto dry pavement. Her giddy expression quickly fell. She sighed. Her steps slowed, but I doubted it was to allow me to catch up to her. Shoes scraping against the ground, slender hands slipped into her pockets. The denim rippled and relaxed. I frowned.

"Are you feeling well?" I asked. It was such a turn from how she had acted a moment prior, almost as if- "If you are tired than I am sure I will be able to find it on my own." It wasn't what I thought, but I was not sure I wanted to voice that thought. I did not want to risk it becoming the reality. 

"Wow, willing to let me walk alone in Gotham. How chivalrous." 

"To be quite fair, you did not appear to have issues earlier."

"Fair. Not that it matter's much, it's right there. I'll see you later."

And as quickly as she had shown up, she vanished, leaving me dazed on the sidewalk. There was something odd about Percy, but I couldn't figure out what. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dark waters pushed around me, the moonlight not penetrating far beneath the surface. I glided through the water, eyes focused ahead. The glow from my skin icons spread, seeping through the darkness. I slowed to a stop. Rough, slick stone pressed to my hands and feet, drawing against my skin as I pulled myself out of the ocean. I sucked in a deep breath.