30

The blood had nearly reached my feet by the time I put my shaking hands in my pockets. My phone came out in one hand and Riptide was in the other. The soft click of the phone opening seemed like thunder. My thumb pressed on the glowing one, and I held the phone up to my ear. Ring, ring, ring. The dial-tone mocked me as I silently pleaded for her to answer. 

The phone crackled. My heart stopped in the brief moment it would be to find out if it was her or if it was voicemail. 

"Bluejay?" 

Oh thank the gods. I sobbed. Riptide clattered onto the ground, my breaths filtered through my fingers. "Can- Can you come get me?"

"Where are you?" Diana asked. She sounded calm. I had to believe she was. She's a demigod far older than me, she wouldn't be freaking out. So why did I get the feeling she was not anywhere near calm?

"By- By the uh-- There's a magic shop. Emporium something."

"Are you injured? Shit." A loud crash echoed over the phone. "I'll be there in a few minutes, just stay on the phone." I shuddered, sniffled and nodded, before realizing she couldn't see me. Another sob fell. "Hey, hey, Bluejay, what's your favorite color?"

"Green."

"What color green? Do you like the standard Crayola green? Or maybe asparagus green? Or something else? Though if you say baby barf green, I might just make you eat some of Green Arrow's chili."

I laughed. It was soft, but it was a laugh. "Sea green," I said, my words shaky. "I, uh, I like the ocean." Dad and I shared that color. My grip on the phone tightened. I was surprised when it didn't creak or groan. I should've called Dad. I wouldn't have bothered Diana. Maybe he'd let me spend the night. Maybe let me fall asleep on the couch with him. 

He said I was always welcome, and I wished I had taken him up on that tonight. But I didn't, and here I sat in an alleyway with blood pooling around my boots. 

"My cousin likes that color. Though it's not her favorite, she much rather prefers blue." I don't. Not anymore, not since- I sobbed. Diana hushed me. "I'm almost there," she soothed. "What about...favorite food?"

"I don't- Pizza? Maybe? I don't know."

"And that's okay. I just need you to keep talking to me, okay? You said you like the ocean, right? What part do you like the best?"

"It's nice."

"Can you be a little more specific?"

"I just like it. It's nice." 

Boots hit concrete. Nothing came across the phone as "Bluejay?" echoed off the walls of the alley. I drew back further, pressing my back against the hard, comforting surface, even if every part of me knew it was Diana. She's safe. She wouldn't hurt me, and yet when my foot hit a trash bag and sent it and other stuff toppling over, bile curdled in my stomach. 

The clicking drew closer. Diana knelt by the corpse, taking its non-existent pulse when her head turned. She stared straight at me. My nails dug into my cheek, a desperate attempt to muffle my breathing. "Oh, kid." She moved in front of me. "How about we get you out of here, hm? Come on." Gentle hands slipped under my elbows. "Can you walk?"

"I don't-"

"Do you think we can get back to where you live?" I shook my head frantically. She couldn't take me back to the Manor. No. Bruce would get mad, and she'd probably get mad at me for hiding this from her. "Okay, I'm going to pick you up. I'm going to fly a little slower, but we're going to go back to my place. I can help you come up with a cover story for why you didn't come home after we get you cleaned up." Diana tugged me forward, and I complied with her as she maneuvered me into her arms. Winds whipped around me, as she took off. Thunder rumbled, Zeus pissed off that he couldn't strike me down without killing his own kid. Despite knowing he wouldn't risk it, and not having a fear of heights, I pressed my face against Diana.