Chapter 3: The Nether Portal Opens

Shelby's POV (3 days later)

I take a deep breath as I take my newly forged diamond axe off of the crafting table. I am just back from a mining trip. I was able to get enough diamonds for a chest-plate, an axe, shovel and pickaxe. Thankfully, the axe can work well as a weapon since I don't have any diamonds left to make a sword.

I had heard that the axe is better than a sword, but I don't know if that's true.

I take another deep breath, heading upstairs from my basement. I had finished my house yesterday, well, for the most part. I just have some furniture left to put in, but I think I'm going to focus on getting materials to keep myself alive for now, and then focus on decorating once I feel safe enough.

I'm thinking about making a nether portal. I am super nervous about it though. Should I wait and see if anybody wants to come with me? Should I brave it and go alone?

No, I think it'll be safer to go with somebody else... just in case something goes wrong. The least I can do is open the portal today... right? So that it's ready for when I want to explore?

Yeah... I can do that...

I open my backpack that I had made and pull out all of the obsidian I had mined. Walking outside, I look around to make sure there are no dangerous monsters lurking around. Gripping my axe tightly in my hand, I start walking towards the mountain side. I'm going to put the portal next to the tunnel going through the mountain. I don't know why, I just will.

Arriving next to the stairs leading up to the tunnel, I cut down the tree, so I have more space. Once the tree is moved out of the way, I take the obsidian and start putting it in a 3 by 2 rectangle shape to create the frame of the portal. I have a flint and steel hanging from the belt around the rim of my iron leggings, so I can light it when I'm ready.

I use the side of my axe to move the obsidian into a sturdy position after struggling to put them into position because of how heavy they were, lightly clicking my tongue against the roof of my mouth for no other reason than to fill the awkward silence.

I hear a buzz on my bracelet, so I pause and look at it to see that Britt had sent a message.

------------------------------------------------------------------

BBPaws: Does anybody need a stock up on food?

------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I'm actually okay for now, I have a chest full of wheat, eggs, uncooked beef, pork and mutton, so I'm alright for now. I see a reply come in from Vicki, and then one from Kyle.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

xTigerLily: I could use some extras!

Koil1990: Same here, thanks Britt!

BBPaws: No worries, I'll be over to your houses soon!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I smile a little and then finish up on making the portal. I start to wonder where everybody got their communication bracelet names. I mean, Scott's makes sense, it's Smajor1995, the 'S' standing for 'Scott' and then 'Major' is his last name, and he was born in 1995. Britt's makes sense too, now that I think about it. She did mention that her bracelet name stands for 'BrittanyBearPaws', which is her full name. Lauren too, her thing is 'LaurenzSide'. I don't know about everybody else though.