Chapter 5: Blood Moon is Rising

Shelby's POV (Next Day)

I pull on my now dry, washed clothes, and brush through my hair with my fingers. It's the only thing that can take out the tugs in my hair every day since we don't have brushes, at least not yet.

Once that was done, I look out of the large window in the upstairs of my house. It's going on to 4:30pm now. I had spent a lot of this morning out to gather food. Lauren, Sasha and Dylan had gone with me since they were also in need of some extra food. I didn't mind going with people, it meant I could spend more time getting to know them.

Of course, I've known Dylan since college, but I was mostly talking about Lauren and Sasha in the 'getting to know them' category.

"I'm going to go and start work on the safe room" I mumble to myself. Grabbing my pickaxe, which was laying on my bed, I head down the stairs to the living room, and then down into the basement.

Looking around, I start to think about where I want to put the safe room. All 4 walls have chests on them, but there are spaces wide enough to put doorways. I would just need to remove the crafting bench and the anvil from that space. I don't know why I decided to make so many anvils and crafting tables, but I did.

I decide to put the doorway to the safe room on the South Wall, which is left of the staircase going up into the actual house.

I use all the strength in my arms and pull the heavy anvil out and put it in my tool chest. I put the crafting table upstairs for the time being.

"Okay..." I mumble, taking my axe and knocking out the wood to make room for a doorway. Once that was removed, I take the pickaxe and start mining away at the stone to create a room to act as my panic room. I think I'm going to make the walls out of obsidian. Thankfully, I mined a lot of obsidian the other day, but I don't know if I mined enough. I can always go back down to the caves and get more if I need it.

The blood moon doesn't happen for another week and a half, or so, so I don't need to worry about that just yet.

I hum a tune to myself while I do so. I have an apple with me to munch on while I do this too, so I can keep my hunger nice and full.

I'm honestly surprised I haven't taken any damage yet. I'm still at full hearts, which means I haven't had to eat my golden apples yet, so that's nice.

I hope I don't lose any of them soon.

I should probably not get my hopes up too much though, since I decided to go back into the Nether tomorrow. Scott agreed to come with me though, since we're both too scared to do this ourselves. This world is probably saving up all it's dangers, letting us think that we're going to be okay, but soon enough, something bad is going to happen.

Shaking my head, I continue mining. Don't think like that Shelby. It's going to be fine.

About 20 minutes go by and I had finished mining out the space I want to call the panic room. I gather all the obsidian that I had in one of my chests and start building up secure walls in front of the stone.

I wonder what everyone else is up to. Scott mentioned that he is going to be making a moat around his house to keep the mobs out of his house. I may do the same later on, but I have no doubt that I'll fall in it all the time while trying to get across.

I chuckle to myself, knowing that it's probably true.

About 2 hours go by and I had put up most of the obsidian. Its super hard to build with since it's so heavy.

I stop to take a breather and a sip of water since it's really hot. It's been hot all day.

I soon realise that I in fact did NOT have enough obsidian. I was 2 blocks short of completing the 4th wall. "Dang it" I mumble.