Chapter 12: The Sick Shelby

Scott's POV (Later that Day)

Everybody kind of split off later in the day. We did end up playing a few rounds of hide and seek, since we all knew that Caff wanted us to be happy, and to not mourn too much over him. He only ever wanted to see people happy, so we did this for him.

It probably sounds selfish, trying to have fun while your friend just died, but... sometimes you need to do something fun to get your mind off of things, otherwise you might never be happy again.

We'll probably be getting a new person within a week now that Caff has died. I wouldn't be surprised if we did, since we did get two new people after Netty and Vicki died.

I haven't heard from Shelby again today, so I think I'm going to go check on her. She seemed pretty out of it this morning when I went to collect her for Caff's funeral. Hopefully she's feeling a little bit better now.

I put my sword into the loop of my belt and begin making my way across the water, towards the village from my house. Everybody else must be in their houses, since I can see lights on inside each one, well, most of them.

I arrive at Shelby's house about 3 minutes later. Knocking on the door, I wait for a reply. I'm not the type of person to barge into a home, y'know? You have to be considerate.

Soon enough, the door opens, and I see a sick Shelby standing there, "Hey... Scott..." she says, letting out a few coughs.

I suck in a breath, she didn't seem to be doing too good, "Are you feeling any better?" I ask as she allows me inside.

She shakes her head, "Not really..." she hums, putting a wet cloth on her forehead. I narrow an eyebrow and remove the cloth slowly, placing the palm of my hand against her pale forehead. I was surprised at how warm she was.

"Alright, off to bed" I say, picking her up bridal style, kind of out of nowhere. She squeaked in surprise, throwing her arms around me so she wouldn't fall.

Laying her down, I feel a familiar sensation in my head, and then, the voice speaks, "Are you crushing on her, Scott?" it questions with a chuckle.

It took all my energy not to reply out loud. 'God dang it, Sadler' I think to myself. I hear him snicker at my reply.

I smile as Shelby gets herself snuggled into her sheets. She smiles lightly back. "Alright, do you have any idea how you felt like this? Like, what caused it?" I question as I sit down next to her.

She shakes her head, "Unfortunately, no... maybe it was something I ate? I did eat some meat in the middle of the night, maybe it wasn't fully cooked" she thinks.

I nod, "It's possible" I say before picking up both of her wrists and looking at her hearts and hunger. She only has 2 golden hearts down, and one hunger bar down, so she's okay in those cases.

Hmm...

"It also could just be a common sickness" I figure.

She shrugs, "Maybe... anyway, how did the funeral go?" she asks.

I sigh, "As well as it could have gone, I suppose" I nod lightly, "We ended up playing hide and seek after, but we agreed to do it again in a few days since you had to miss out" I tell her.

She smiles lightly, "Thanks... but you didn't have to do that for me" she says, lightly sitting up.

"Ah, ah, ah!" I yell, making her lie back down, "You aren't getting off of this bed" I order.

She sighs, "I was just going to sit up" she rolls her eyes playfully with a small smile, letting out a couple coughs before calming down again.

I smirk, putting on an accent, "As your father, I order you to stay lying down!" I say, folding my arms.