Onwards and upwards

Ontario's P.O.V

After much discussion that lasted late into the night, the hobbit who I later found out was named Bilbo, flat out refused to help us.

The small man profusely declined after Thórin admitted that he couldn't guarantee his safety.

I had scoffed at the comment. No one could guaranteed anybody's safety. There was no way to tell if any of us would make it back.

We already lacked the confidence that we would actually succeed in our mission to reclaim the arkenstone.

Thousands of miles of uncharted territory, filled with swindlers, predators, and unknown dangers roamed around every corner.

It would take at least 6 months on horseback before we even got anywhere near the lonely mountain.

6 Months meant nothing to me. I was immortal, forever destined to roam the plains of existence. Personally I jumped at the chance at an adventure.

I had been stuck living in the middle of the forest with Radagast for too many years.

While I appreciated all of the healing techniques and life advice he had given me there was only so much of him I could handle.

I was young and as Balin had described it I need to 'socialise' more often. Apparently Radagast and Sebastian weren't the best of influences in that aspect.

Sebastian is a hedgehog.

So apon Bilbos decline of our offer, we set out at the crack of dawn to continue our journey to Erebor.

The initial reasoning behind inviting an unknown hobbit, was Smaug already knew a dwarves scent. Hobbits were a young breed, so it was unlikely he had ever stumbled upon one.

Bilbo would have been less likely to have woken up the sleeping dragon compared to 13, extremely loud, clumsy dwarves.

Thórin ultimately decided that he would be the one to enter the chamber, less risk facing the rest of the company.

Unbeknownst to him Fili, Kili, and I were already planning to break off on our own, and find the arkenstone ourselves.

I was by far the lightest on foot, having the agility to move silently yet quickly. I would be able to soundlessly locate the arkenstone and leave without being noticed. If I was noticed, I'd have the brothers to back me up.

I was abruptly brought out of my thoughts as the quaking horse beneath me threw its nose into the air, proceeding to shake out its mane.

"Lukaine, all is well," I whispered soothingly to the dark stallion. Giving him a soft pat on his neck.

The sun had rose not long ago, blanketing the forest in a golden glow. The tranquility was broken as Lukaine unexpectedly reared up.

My hands found their way into his mane as I gripped the saddle with my legs. Ori who was riding beside me, skirted off to the side as Lukaine lashed out with his front legs.

"Woah boy,".

"Woah," I murmured calmly.

We landed heavily with a thud, twigs snapping under his huge weight.