Out of the frying pan... and into the fire

Ontario's P.O.V

The sky soon turned dark, the fading light of the sun disappearing entirely. Plunging us into the darkness that threatened to swallow us whole.

There was no where for us to go as we sprinted down the rocky slope, the wargs hot on our tail.

I leapt off the edge of a tall Boulder, turning mid flight I let an arrow loose, watching as it buried itself in a wargs eye. The large body sliding to a halt.

My feet hit the ground heavily, twigs from the forest floor snapping under my weight. The dry moss doing little to muffle the sound.

My toes dug into the soft earth, as I propelled myself forward, I leapt up grabbing at a low hanging branch.

The rough bark biting at my fingers as I abruptly changed my direction, I flung myself at a warg, knocking it to the ground a few feet away. Before it could regain its senses I fired upon it, ducking almost immediately as I felt the presence of another sailing over my head.

The dirty hair of its underbelly, brushing lightly past my face, tickling my cheekbones.

I pushed upwards on the creatures back legs, throwing it off balance. It tumbled mid flight, landing with a sickening crunch against a large tree trunk.

I sprinted after the dwarves, leaping over a fallen log not daring to look back over my shoulder in my haste.

I could hear them coming!

I ground to a halt as I passed a stunned figure who stood alone, hands out in front of him, arms shaking in fright. A dead warg lay dead at Bilbo's feet, his short sword embedded in its temple.

"Come on!" I encouraged. My voice seeming to snap him out of whatever trance he was in.

"Everyone into the trees! Climb!" Gandalf demanded in the distance.

Bilbo strained, both hands wrapped around its hilt trying to pull it from the corpse. "Come on, come on," I encouraged, trying to get him to hurry up. I would not leave him a second time.

"THEY'RE COMING!!!" Thórin yelled in warning.

My stomach dropped as I glanced behind me, at least two dozen of the blood thirsty creatures raced down the mountain side, tearing large plods of earth up in their haste.

All snarling in unison, salivating at the prospect of a quick and easy meal... Us.

My breath hitched in my throat as I leant over and pulled the sword free. Thrusting it into Bilbo's arms I pushed him ahead of me. Forcing him to move as fast as my own long legs.

I shouldered my bow, pumping my arms as fast as I could, sprinting closer and closer to the edge of the outcrop.

We reached the edge of a cliff where a handful of tall pines stood proudly. Gripping a handful of Bilbos pants I practically threw him up onto a low hanging branch.

Not breaking my stride, I leapt for a nearby tree. Sweat crawled down the back of my neck as I seemingly moved in slow motion.

My outstretched palms coming in contact with the wide branch. Pulse hammering in my ears. The sweat from my palms, decreasing friction between my hands and the uneven wood.