The Lonely ride

Ontario's P.O.V

The night was long and painful, for more reasons than one.

No one slept, everyone was still on edge, even though Lindir was sure that none of the Striga's had survived.

I sat beside Bofur the entire night, mulling over my entire life decisions. Where I went wrong with Lindir. Everything all came back to the night I helped the dwarves leave Rivendell undetected.

It was no one else's fault but my own.

I made my bed, now I've got to sleep in it.

I knew Bofur had questions that he for once wasn't voicing, knowing that it wasn't the right time nor place.

By the time the sun had cracked on the horizon I had slipped away the short distance to the small waterfall I had found when I first arrived here two weeks ago with the company of dwarves .

Silently slipping into the cool water I dove to the bottom. The cool water numbing my numerous wounds.

It felt like a lifetime ago.

Breaching the water I floated on the surface, enjoying the tranquility and quiet. Watching as the sun fully rose into the sky. A stray tear escaping from the corner of my eye.

How did things get so messed up?

Now that was one of my many talents.

By the time I had remerged, clean, and significantly less happy with myself. The remainder of the elves were finishing packing up what little they carried.

Dothrum walked towards me, struggling slightly against a fretting Lukaine that bared his teeth at the nervous elf.

He had already been saddled, my pack already tied on behind him.

"Hey boy," I cooed, greeting him with a small pat. "Your a lot braver than I am," he ducked as Lukaine snapped at his head.

"You just need to know how to handle him," I smiled, thanking him as he helped me into the saddle.

I grabbed the reins in one hand turning towards Bofur who decided it was significantly safer to ride double with Dothrum, not that the elf blamed him.

Lindir spoke quietly to a dark haired elf I did not know, nodding towards him as he began to lead the remaining group of Elvin guards back to Rivendell. They were due back days ago, Elrond would no doubt be beginning to worry by now.

It was decided by Lindir that he and Dothrum would be escorting us back to the company of dwarves.

Instead of arguing like I usually would I just kept my mouth shut.

.....