He's a runner, he's a track star

Ontario's P.O.V

I peered over the edge of the rock, my fingers clinging to its harsh edges like a lifeline. Beside me the wind tussled Bilbos hair as we both stared into the distance.

From the shadows rose a group of wargs, a scouting party. The vile creatures howls carrying on the wind, as they raced across the mountain peak, eagerly searching.

They were unrelenting in their chase.

A figure much larger then the rest of the orcish riders, led the pack. Even from here I could see the familiar scars that marred his flesh. Deep gauges decorating his chest and back.

Azog the defiler.

Coming to a halt, he began to look into the distance, his head swivelling in our direction.

I gripped ahold of Bilbo's shirt, pulling him down as we ducked behind the rock. Sighing deeply in an effort to calm my racing heart.

"We should-," I abruptly cut Bilbo off, placing a finger to my lips. A silent warning. My finely tuned ears picking up on a deep rumbling growl.

Grabbing ahold of my bow, I notched an arrow, resting it on the notch as I peered around the corner of our hiding place.

It was not what I expected.

A few hundred metres away, standing rigid on an outcrop of rock, stood a creature much like a bear, except far larger.

It growled threatening, as it caught sight of the wargs, far off in the distance. It's size was imposing as its deep growl turned into a blood chilling howl that echoed through the mountain pass. Shaking the very ground beneath our feet.

I swallowed thickly, that is not something I was willing to tango with.

Gripping Bilbo by his shirt I pushed him towards the track we had came up.

I had to give him credit, considering we were at risk of becoming a snack for a giant bear mutant, with all the slipping and sliding he was doing in his haste to return to the company, he was by far a lot quieter than I would have expected. He was beginning to learn.

After a very quick descent we met the dwarves on the edge of the tree line. I breathed in a sigh of relief as soon as I caught sight of Dwalin standing at the bottom, waiting expectantly.

I chose to slide down over the side of a steep rock face, landing on my feet with a slight thud. Bilbo padding along behind me, choosing the stumble down the rocky path.

"How close is the pack?" Thórin asked expectantly, "A few leagues no more," I replied,  panting slightly.

"But that's not the worst of it," Bilbo continued, "Have the wargs picked up our scent?" Dwalin asked a slight worry in his tone. "Not yet but they will do," Bilbo told him, "But we have another problem,".

"Did they see you?" Gandalf demanded, "Hmm?" Bilbo questioned raising his brows in confusion, "They saw you?" Gandalf repeated.

"No that's not it," Bilbo breathed out trying to regain his breath, "What did I tell you? Quiet as a mouse," Gandalf murmured happily quite chuffed with himself, I narrowed my eyes if it weren't for me teaching Bilbo to pick his feet up when he walked then no doubt he would still be running around like a pack of dwarves.