Choices

Ontario's P.O.V

Night had fallen long ago and I had been roaming the halls of Rivendell ever since the fiery conversation with the dwarves this morning.

I felt betrayed by my friends. Was this the only reason I was asked to join the company? To throw myself at someone so everyone else could escape.

Was I better off to just cut my losses and go back home?

But where was home to me?

Back with Radagast?

I meant what I had confided in Lindir, I was tired of being cooped up in a cabin in the middle of no where. I wanted to explore the world and all that middle earth had to offer.

I wanted to find myself, be who I was destined to become, and I couldn't do that if everyone around me was controlling my every move like a pawn on a chess board.

I found myself on the edge of a balcony overlooking the common room where a very quick paced argument was going back and forth between Elrond, and Gandalf.

"Of course I was going to tell you. I was waiting for this very chance. And really I think you can trust that I know what I am doing,".

"Do you? That Dragon has slept for 60 years... What will happen if your plan should fail? If you wake that beast?"

"What if we succeed?" Gandalf asked. "If the dwarves take back the mountain then our defences in the east will be strengthened,". He pointed out.

"It is a dangerous move, Gandalf," Elrond sighed.

"It is also dangerous to do nothing! Oh, come, the throne of Erebor is Thórin's birthright. What is it you fear?"

"Have you forgotten?" He accused, "A strain of madness runs deep in that family... His grandfather lost his mind. His father succumbed to the same sickness... Can you swear Thórin Oakensheild will not also fall?"

I sighed heavily as the wizard paused in thought. I did not know Thror well, I was too young when I last saw him, barely older than a babe. I was not there to watch his downfall, but I too had heard the rumours. How his increasing greed for gold and treasure, forcing the dwarves of his kingdom to mine deeper into the mountain for precious jewels had invoked the dragon Smaug's interest.

If he hadn't of had a hoard so great then undoubtedly he wouldn't have caught the eye of the dragon.

Thrain however was more present in my childhood memories. I fondly remembered his story's of far away lands and how his kin conquered the goblin king, aiding in my families victory of the second age.

Whilst I was too young to realise he had lost his mind on the battle field of Moria I knew he was gone, leaving Thórin to lead his people.

I did not know whether Thórin would too fall victim to insanity.

"These decisions do not fall on us alone. It is not up to you or me to redraw the map of Middle-earth,".

"With or without our help, these dwarves will march on the mountain. They're determined to reclaim their homeland. I do not believe Thórin Oakensheild feels that he is answerable to anyone-Nor for that matter am I,".