CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Usually Florence woke up to a serene, gently tune flowing in from the other room as Vanya played her violin by the window; today, however, it sounded like someone had given a newborn the bow to play with.

Screeches of hesitant notes made her grit her teeth and pull the blankets up over her head as she tried to force her eyes open.

Her ears ached from the pitch of the noise and she covered her ears, grimacing. Usually Vanya taught kids who knew the basics, who needed extra or private tutoring. Who the hell was in the living room butchering that beautiful instrument?

Florence got up and noticed the other side of the bed was tucked in neatly, leaving her side a crumpled mess. She straightened it out swifyly and moved to change into her clothes, opting for a shower at the academy. This noise was getting on her nerves and she had to leave before a migraine came on.

Shaking a hand through her messy hair, she tucked it back and slid her jacket over her shoulders, covering her stiff, aching wings. She checked she hadnteft anythign else before exiting the bedroom.

The screech that mey her ears made a shiver go down her spine and then she saw that it was a man Vanya was attempting to tutor. He looked awkward and she looked plain uncomfortable. Their heads turned her way and while vanya softly smiled, the man seemed surprised.

"Sorry to interrupt," Florence briefly apologises (aiming it at Vanya,) heading for the door. The mans gaze lingered on her and she tried to ignore it, plastering a fake smile on her face. "Im heading back. Ill see you in an hour, right V?"

Vanya nodded and she left the two to their lesson.

Once outside the door Florence slowed her walk, not sure why, but her mind presses her to listen in. She knows she shouldn't, but shes way too curiouswhen the creepy guys voice asks her something.

"I caught an accent. She not from here?" He tries to inquire casually and Florence slides her hands into her pockets, uncomfortable.

"Yeah, she was born in Kent, England. She moved here as a kid." Vanya responded.

Silence for a split second, the sound of the strings brushing the bow ever so slightly before being pulled away again. "Is she your girlfriend?"

Both Florence and Vanya tensed, warmth crawling up their necks. Florence fought the urge to tap her foot. Something about this guy didn't sit right with her. He should mind his own business, she thought.

Vanya stutters. "Uh, i-"

"Sorry if that was personal," he chuckles. "I didnt mean..."

Florence isn't sure why but she stays despite the growing need to leave.

"Yeah, she is my girlfriend, actually." She stated, clearing her throat before trying to refocus on the music sheets, diverting his attentuon away from her personal life.

She let out a breathy laugh, shaking her head as she continued leaving the building, keeping her steps quiet. She was sure everyone would notice the redness of her cheeks. She was so confused.

Vanya lied blatantly back there, why? She knew the tone when she was trying to lie and yet a strange giddy feeling made her want to grin. She wasnt Vanya's girlfriend, but the thought of her claiming she was didnt bother her one bit, even though it probably should have.

She promised herself to bring that up to her later, mostly just to tease her.

On her walk back despite not meaning to, a soft smile stuck to her lips for the journey; when she spotted her reflection in the foyer mirror, she realised she was falling fast.

She draped her long jacket over a chair at the end of the kitchen table, more comfortable showing off her wings around people who had been raised around them - also the reason why she rarely left the house. Oh go, especially in summer. She usually sprawled out in the garden that time of the year, her only escape from the house, if it could even be called that.

Florence grabbed herself some cereal and munched on it, content being in her own company. She could hear talking upstairs and recognised Fives voice, ever so serious.

Klauses voice was almost the opposite. He was always lively and animated.

After her breakfast she downed a glass of cold water and jogged upstairs to have a quick shower and change her clothes for the day.

As she did, she kept two things on her mind.

One, the minutes until Vanya would show up after her morning lesson.

Two, the end of everything as they knew it occurring in just a week.

It was safe to say she had a lot to think about.