CHAPTER THIRTEEN

When Vanya Hargreeves opens the door to her apartment she expects to see Florence lying on the larger couch but jumps in surprise when Five switches a lamp on and smiles.

"Jesus! You scared me." She shot her eyes between the two.

"Well, I am naturally terrifying," Florence mutters with a faint smile, and Vanyas lips twitch upwards. "Vanilla Milkshakes by the toaster by the way."

"For me?" Vanya sets her things down and looks over the woman who's lying on her front, one wing draped over the back of the couch and the other trailing the floor. She doesnt notice the way she quickly hides her hand behind her wing in the hopes that she wont see. Her other arm is where shes resting her chin.

"You know i don't like vanilla, V."

When Vanya noticed the seriousness in the room she sat down across from Five while Florence stared at the floorboards, trying to ignore the throbbing in her tightly wrapped hand.

"Is that blood?"

She had a brief moment of panic where she thought Vanya could see her injury but realised she was speaking to her brother and calmed herself down.

Five ignores her concern, brushing it off. "Ive decided that you are the only one I can trust." He began.

Florence rose an eyebrow. He hesitated, glancing at her briefly. "And... maybe her."

"Why?" Vanya asked softly.

"Because youre ordinary," he stated. Florence and Vanya frowned deeply and he reiterated. "Because you'll listen."

Unspoken words filled Florences mind. He had to tell her because she was now involved. Had been shot because of him, now she wanted answers. Although he didnt know her well enough, he assumed correctly that she would be the type to persist in questioning. If she wanted answers she would get them.

"When I jumped forward in time and got stuck in the future, do you know what I found?" He asked.

They shook their heads.

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing."

While Vanyas eyes widened a fraction, Florences closed and she buried her face in her arm.

"As far as I could tell I was the last person left alive. I never did figure out what killed the human race, but I did find something else... The date it happens."

He paused.

"The world ends in eight days and I have no idea how to stop it."

Silence washed over them. Florences mind was reeling.

Vanya let out a breath she was holding. "Ill put on a pot of coffee."