CHAPTER FOURTEEN

"You got anything stronger?" Five asked.

Florence had moved from her lying down position to sitting with her knees drawn to her chest in the corner of the couch, her wings half pulled against her like a blanket. Her eyes were fixed on a divot in the floorboards while she processed the words being said.

Vanya had fixed the wound on Fives arm and came back with some kind of alcohol. She didnt even bother offering Florence any, she hated the stuff.

Five sat back and scanned Vanya judgementally. "You think im crazy."

She stuttered out, "no, no... its just a lot to take in."

"Exactly what dont you understand?" He asked rhetorically.

Florence stared vacantly, lost in her own thoughts. She didnt know exactly what to think. After the diner it was obvious he was in some serious shit, but what connection did that have to the world ending? Was he not supposed to know? Well, clearly he wasn't, but were they trying to stop him? Who had he gotten involved with in the future?
It was such a complicated statement - what reason would he have to lie? Did the time travel mess with his mind? He seemed perfectly sane... to an extent, ignoring the fact he slaughtered a dozen men without a weapon not an hour ago with ease.

The world ends in eight days... what could they do about it? Surely he must have had a plan, but Vanya's hesitance to believe such a bombshell made him reluctant to share. What if they didnt stop it?

Her eyes flickered to Vanya who was deep in a conversation with her brother, so didnt notice the eyes on her. Florences heart picked up its pace and she tried to swallow down her emotions.

Eight days, such little time. There were so many things Florence wanted to do, to say. The woman in front of her had no idea and she planned to keep it that way. What if now was the only time she had left?

What could they even do to help?

Her powers were limited and she could barely go in public without becoming overwhelmed by her heightened senses, let alone just walk with her wings out like it was normal. She could fly, but what help would that be?
And Vanya... she was normal, wasnt she?

Five came to vanya in the hopes that she would listen and believe him - he needed the support. Florence just got caught up in it all by accident. If the only thing they could do for Five was support him, offer encouragement and believe in him, shouldn't they at least give him that?

A sudden movement from the side caught her eye. It was five standing.
"Youre too young, too naive to understand..." he went to leave, annoyed that he'd even spoken.

"Wait, no five... i haven't seen you in a long time," Vanya spoke quietly, pleadingly. Florence raised her head and sat forward, watching. "And i dont want to lose you again. Its- its getting late, and I have lessons in the morning and i need sleep, and I'm sure you do too," she moved to beside Florence to pull out a blanket and pillow.

Meanwhile, Fives eyes met the womans on the couch and she said nothing. She hadnt talked in a while.

"We can talk in the morning, okay?"

Five slid his hands into his pockets and regarded them both softly, giving his sister a blank smile. "I cant stay. I'm sorry, but," his eyes slid to Florence and she forced herseld out of her daze. "You should check the bullet wound Florence has been hiding-"

She shot up, outraged at the betrayal. "-you little-" Five almost smirked.

"What?" Vanya exclaimed, looking between the two.

"You might want to talk to her about that."  Five waved before disappearing in a flash.

Vanya turned with wide eyes, immediately flicking the main light on and illuminating the blood on her pale skin. She tried to hide it but Vanya grabbed her wrist and pulled it forward so she could see as she hissed in pain.